• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Where are the fuel filters located...to be drained of water?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yes only one filter. It's located above the drive/prop shaft in front of the rear differential. The factory drain is a little finicky as it does not have a top vent to drain so it becomes kind of vapor locked. Either put on a strap wrench and crack the filter housing loose, fiddle with the plug until it actually completely drains, or replace it with the solid plug Geno's is advertising above (personally a sound investment. Makes my life much easier)

Also you can take a gallon ice cream pail or similar like the bottom half of a washer fluid container and it stands perfectly on top of the driveshaft and rests against the fuel tank to have a mess free drain.

If using the factory drain plug make sure the o ring is properly seated when retightening the plug. The first or second time I drained mine it pinched the seal which I didn't notice leaking the next day until my return trip from a 400 mile drive with 18' ski boat in tow.

I had a nice slime of diesel oil on EVERYTHING behind the Truck.

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
What do y'all think about installing a petcock drain valve on the fuel filter canister, would it be prone to being knocked off by debris since it wouldn't sit flush on the canister?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I wouldn't be opposed to it. It's offset from the driveshaft and wouldn't interfere with anything. No different from the ez oil drain valve

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You just need to take into consideration that if it's not a large enough diameter hole then it will be no different than the factory valve that gets vapor locked and doesn't actually drain

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Even with Geno's solid brass drain plug draining the housing is still not perfect. The housing was still vapor locked and half full of fuel after draining when I opened the housing to replace the filter

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
if all you want to do is drain the water and be sure its out after you have a container in place and the valve open just bump the key on for a couple of seconds

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
anybody know the thread dimensions for the drain plug? I'm think I want to explore a fumoto valve or something like it......

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
anybody know the thread dimensions for the drain plug? I'm think I want to explore a fumoto valve or something like it......
I don't know off hand but i'll see if I can find my old plastic plug and check the threads tomorrow?

ZMan079

Aug 10, 2015
Truck Year
I just changed my fuel filter the other evening, was pretty easy as I used the Gallon Ziplock bag trick (just don't try loose enough initially with the bag as you might put a tiny hole in it like I did).

I saw the Geno's garage kit, but personally I'd only be interested in the valve, as I was able to loosen mine by hand, don't know if they sell just the valve.

was wondering if the ez-valve 3/8 diameter would work???

ZMan079

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I just changed my fuel filter the other evening, was pretty easy as I used the Gallon Ziplock bag trick (just don't try loose enough initially with the bag as you might put a tiny hole in it like I did).

I saw the Geno's garage kit, but personally I'd only be interested in the valve, as I was able to loosen mine by hand, don't know if they sell just the valve.

was wondering if the ez-valve 3/8 diameter would work???

ZMan079
Geno's has a valve now? I got a solid brass plug from them for mine. Skipped the adapter. I've got a full size oil filter belt wrench works perfect for me if I need a little extra oomph

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
JDN any word on that plastic plug and the screw dimensions?
sorry I meant to update I couldn't find it for the life of me