• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who's running a tune

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Regarding updating the Edge, no problem if you are a mac user only, which is what I am. I just used VMware Fusion on my Macbook Pro (1 year old unit, using El Capitan OS), with windows installed. No problem updating the unit. Worked without a hitch. (REGEN Distance PID has been removed by Chrysler, non issue)

I'm getting excellent economy and enough power. I suspect if you push it for more power, you will run into a situation where you will go into melt down and damage the engine. I originally bought the Edge Insight just to see what the commotion was about Soot and REGEN. With the monitor I have concluded it not an issue or concern.

My only concern is the EGT1 and EGT2 temperatures, as it is possible to push the temperatures to 1500 degrees F. Is this reaching a point of possible melt down? How effective is their cooling system? Don't know yet, in the meantime I avoid those temperatures, which happens when I'm towing in the mountains with cruise control and RPM of 3000 to 3500.

FYI: I'm repeating myself as most of this info is found in this thread....
REGENS, how to tell??

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The issue with the factory tune is well FCA. they just stated with the 2016 press release that they intentionally detuned the Cummings so every year they can increase towing numbers without actually Changing anything. No one wants to see the same numbers every year and I understand that as well as the constant need for improvement but when the engineers admittedly detune an engine just so they can make it look better 6 years down the road when they introduce the tune and power it was supposed to have from launch? I find it dishonest and not very good business.

It's a necessary evil.

And I'm sure the same goes for the ED so that they can eventually factor in better numbers when sales percentages drop on the eco. Boost numbers to boost sales. But only when it's necessary to do so. It will take either another manufacturer to produce a serious and reliable high economy diesel that puts pressure on the ecodiesel's sales or just sales in general seriously dropping due to market.

Then and only then will we see a REAL factory tune come on this engine. Until then it will drag us owners along knowing it could be better.

Only it won't show it's face until there's competition. (Ecoboost obviously isn't a threat) Gm canyon/Colorado diesel or a gm electric hybrid full size that puts out some serious numbers; because until that point, ram is winning the numbers war. And until that changes FCA will do what they do best and hold out on the real tune they have in store

This is the video that Chrysler outright tells everyone that they detune trucks for YEARS

Last edited:

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I watched this video awhile back. They had to do some mechanical upgrades, otherwise increasing the power would cause mechanical damage. The Cummings 6.x engine is different from the EcoDiesel 3.0. I imagine Cummings engine was built to handle higher heat built-up and load before melt down occurs. Not sure on the cooling system with the EcoDiesel. Still trying to get info about it.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
That's the thing, the Cummings has been around (antique) long enough with minimal changes it's finally requiring Chrysler to basically say "you don't need a banks chip or other tune; it has the power from factory. We were basically just screwing you with a lesser motor because you were going to buy it anyways"

And the VMI 3.0 is just the new toy in the lineup the way I understand it. But it's a MPG war underneath EPA and government deadlines but still dragging along to keep competition between the other truck manufacturers.

You Can't jump way over the other guys heads off the bat and not be able to jump any higher. The big three will incline 1-2MPG at a time because that keeps people buying each new model year. Not just sitting on the first big thing because it's as good as it gets

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Everyone does that. They never give everything and save it for upgrades or new purchases. Sometimes, it happen because of new technology and requires upgrading or new purchases. Plus, they push/advertise that you need to upgrade or buy and people fall for it.

So, don't let them manipulate you, that you need it. You don't need it, you think you need it. Be content with your current purchase.

Be satisfied with current products, use it until it dies. It the cheapest approach in the end.

That is the commercial world we live in and greed won't allow that to change any time soon.

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
I run the GDE and i love it
If you're really worried about being dead in the water, go ahead and buy a spare and flash that one, keeping your factory ECM untouched.
Yes you are right.. I am just money concious .. and I will do that.. even tho GDE tech wrote to me saying it would most likely end up and an expensive paper weight.. several other men I have talked to opted to be safe then sorry.. Thank you for telling me it straight up !!! I over think things..

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I've been on the fence for about 10k miles now regarding purchasing the GDE tune. Mainly worried about warranty issues should the need for serious repairs arise. I don't think it'll be a problem, although I don't know that for certain.

At any rate, I've made up my mind. I'm gonna go with the GDE tune and not even keep the spare. I figure I might as well get it now rather then wait until the warranty is up and my interest in the truck has died down. Just a matter of saving a lil spare cash to do so at this point.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Let me know how it goes....I have been on the fence also...but call me cautious just don't think I can do it. And if I do I will keep my computer as a back up for warranty purposes but then it becomes a 1500 tune...

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
If shawn can't figure his out I may know where to look...sorry shawn

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
jdn112011
what you wrote is just all truth and it totally makes sense and you said it better then I could.. and it goes along with my thought in another conversation I am having with another member.. there is always something better out there.. and right now we are stuck with how our trucks are programed.. and it works but there could and most likely is a better way to program our trucks to run and when RAM improves their tuning.. only the people who have bought the latest mondel benifit.. while if other people who wanted to improve the truck by investing in a different tune. have to worry about warranty whether the tune is good or not.. I totally love my truck and talking with other who also like what they bought.. and I have leaned alot .. I will never work on my truck myself but at least I will know about the workings under the hood when a shop does do work on it.

I agree that FCA does have a better tune.. but it is not implemented.. if they don't they are not paying attention to all the other smart people out there engineering tunes for their engines.. I will keep reading and asking questions.. before I make a decision on changing my trucks program.. I have lots of time.. and the other companies making tunes also are trying to do things better too.. I read alot about Banks and how they test and explore so many ideas for upgrading their products.. it is sort of like phones and computers.. as soon as a new one is released the next one it in process .. sort of hard to win.. I am still on the study stage of what I want to do.. and how much extra money I want to spend.. I might just invest in the fancy rims I want and hold off on changing out the ecm.. at least that is my thought for today.. tomorrow??? who knows. but If I do will take the advice of BoostN and keep the core.. for back up.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I will keep my post short, Who really needs more power from the eco? I am totally happy with what mine does!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Connie the only issue referring to banks tuning is their main method of; well anything, is just boosting fuel rail pressure. Which isn't always beneficial. But it's why they show improved power numbers but not so much efficiency etc.

GDE is so damn popular with us because they are seemingly the only ones who have put together a system that truly benefits the engine life. Shutting out the egr system that is unnecessary to pass emissions to keep the engine clean and reduce overall soot containment. Improving Turbo lag and with a small power curve boost (that is pretty much as good as it's going to get) because It is the hardware that limits the system. The Turbo is undersized. But GDE has gone to the trouble to improve the system, withhold emissions, and produce more power WITHIN mechanical limitations of the motor.

That is something that is hard to find

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
So now yet another good post for the GDE tune.. to tune or not to tune ... Seiko makes great points to stay stock.. and borderline stock people make good issues on both side of the fences.. GDE is the only tune i have seen that is passive.. not a huge pain in the ass to do.. and easy to understand for someone who is learning about the mechanic of the diesel engines no matter the brand.

I have watch a ton of Banks video and the newest advertised.. and if I do I am still leaning to the GDE... and it will be in Jan before I make up mind.. I will be gone about 7 weeks between nov and jan.. so I will not be driving at all...

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
We just signed up to this forum and can answer questions pertaining to the GDE tune. To date our customers have accumulated almost 4 million miles running the GDE tune and no issues. Our main goal is improving engine longevity while increasing fuel economy and upping the power/torque to the max safe limit based on turbo speed, exhaust temps and cylinder pressure. We are the only tuning company that fully instruments our test vehicles in the same manner as the manufacturer and fully validates the tune in cold, hot and altitude driving conditions. Our tune is also safe to pull trailers to the maximum vehicle load rating. Thanks, GDE

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I'm not against a Tune concept and I suspect the cummins engine is a great candidate for one (lots of mileage to check against).

My concern is the EcoDiesel, (not too many miles to check against) and it relatively new and I'm concern there isn't much room to play with it. Lot of the engine components have been reduced in size, etc. I hope I'm wrong....

See some of the post info on Factory Engine Braking Feature regarding the way the engine is built.

Here one conclusion from another post.... Hopefully the dream is valid....

With a tow rating of 9,200 pounds and 28 miles per gallon (approximate range is 730 miles per tank) it is hard to argue that the direction they went (smaller displacement) was a bad one. Sure, if you get in the truck, it isn’t a high power diesel like a three quarter or one ton truck, but a half ton truck isn’t designed for the same environment. Who knows what will happen in the coming years with the tuning market. Banks Power has said they believe that 600 horsepower isn’t out of the question for this package. The EcoDiesel may cause a whole new war in the half ton truck market, and will certainly unleash years worth of high performing half ton diesel trucks for the aftermarket to play with.

Last edited:

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Ok 600 (correction I'm assuming they meant torque) lb/ft. Is kind of a ridiculous number. I mean 50% output over stock just isn't achievable without altering hardware.

No tune will do that.

Not even a 800lb/ft factory Cummins are you going to see a tune that runs 1200lb/ft.

Larger Turbo and or turbos? Methenol injection? A transmission that is relatively built for the hp? I guess it's possible to get the block to run that kind of power. But not with the factory heads, Turbo, intake, well with the factory anything.

Sure you can build something but it will never be commonplace.

You see big number Cummins/DMaxx/strokes but even those are few and far between. It's a serious build. With no application on a half ton truck. Especially to handle the power.

The eco is already pushing close to torque limitations of the zf trans so why even bother offering up those bs power numbers...?

I can accept a tune that hits 300hp/500lb that's hitting the Cummins 5.0 territory and is likely achievable though with significant limitation by the factory Turbo that may even have to go to see those numbers.