• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who's running a tune

Gary Goodin

Apr 18, 2017
Truck Year
If you have a blank ECM...GDE will set it up to your truck for 150.00 and then tune it with the hot tune. Then you install the tuned ECM into your truck, and keep your stock ECM.

You can't do it by yourself.
OK, thanks ,that was very helpful, I appreciate it.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
My main reason for the GDE tune was to shut down the EGR. My dealer's Service Manager was concerned about my low mileage (12 mos & 4690 miles) and frequent 3-4 mile "to the store" trips. He said with that kind of usage & mileage I'm headed for eventual soot, exhaust & filter problems. He said that the GDE tune turning off the EGR is a great idea. He also mentioned it is important to continue with regens to keep the filters clean. I am lucky to have an understanding, realistic and supportive Service Manager.

I purchased a new PCM off eBay and my Service Manager flashed it to my truck Vin number @ $60.00. (The spare has to be installed on the truck to perform the flash.) I then sent it to GDE for their hot tune. I was regening every 80-90 miles & 70% soot level. With the GDE tune, I now regen at 600 miles & 80% soot level.

Plus I enjoy all the other benefits of the tune including a 2-3 mpg local driving gain.

Chad Blair

Sep 3, 2017
Truck Year
I have a '16 EcoDiesel. Pulling 6000lb trailer through the mountains. Trans temp held well but engine almost reached the H point 3 times. Trailer is empty. Any ideas or suggestion for improvement within warranty specs? Completely stock minus the S&B cold air intake. Thanks. Doing the drive back on Tuesday

SRICH15

Jun 18, 2017
Truck Year
I have a '16 EcoDiesel. Pulling 6000lb trailer through the mountains. Trans temp held well but engine almost reached the H point 3 times. Trailer is empty. Any ideas or suggestion for improvement within warranty specs? Completely stock minus the S&B cold air intake. Thanks. Doing the drive back on Tuesday

If you have the Bighorn then I would get a better flowing grill like a Tradesman honeycomb style and delete the Active grill shutters helps some also!!! I have done both and have brought my Temps down 10* on Daily driving!!! IMO I think another pusher fan would help!!! I may try one next as my temps stay cooler when my AC is running because the fan runs with it on!!! A GDE Tune is one of the Best things you can do but.....There's not a lot you can do that will not mess with your warranty but that depends on you Dealer!!

Chad Blair

Sep 3, 2017
Truck Year
If you have the Bighorn then I would get a better flowing grill like a Tradesman honeycomb style and delete the Active grill shutters helps some also!!! I have done both and have brought my Temps down 10* on Daily driving!!! IMO I think another pusher fan would help!!! I may try one next as my temps stay cooler when my AC is running because the fan runs with it on!!! A GDE Tune is one of the Best things you can do but.....There's not a lot you can do that will not mess with your warranty but that depends on you Dealer!!
Ok thanks. The flat towing was great but the mountains in bc created major heating issues.

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year
I have the new Banks Derringer tuner and S&B cold air intake. Running great since I changed the fuel filter to a Napa Gold Fuel Filter. I only have turbo lag 1st thing in the morning when its cold. I love being 1st at the light, so I get 24 mpg and at 75 mph I get 29 mpg. I am also driving a 2016 4WD Limited with air ride. I haven't towed anything fyi, I live in SLC and drove to Park City which is a 6% grade, I can barely touch the throttle and cruise at 75 mph at 15 mpg

Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have the new Banks Derringer tuner and S&B cold air intake. Running great since I changed the fuel filter to a Napa Gold Fuel Filter. I only have turbo lag 1st thing in the morning when its cold. I love being 1st at the light, so I get 24 mpg and at 75 mph I get 29 mpg. I am also driving a 2016 4WD Limited with air ride. I haven't towed anything fyi, I live in SLC and drove to Park City which is a 6% grade, I can barely touch the throttle and cruise at 75 mph at 15 mpg
Good feedback, thanks for sharing.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

Did you install the Banks tuner yourself? I read the install and it doesn't look to difficult. Wonder how it stacks up against the GDE?

2015Ram1500

Apr 27, 2019
Truck Year
That's some good reading as I am new to diesel. I have good knowledge of turbine engines so understand EGT and damaged caused by overtempt. Am trying to decide tune or not to tune so will keep reading.
Thanks

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year
Did you install the Banks tuner yourself? I read the install and it doesn't look to difficult. Wonder how it stacks up against the GDE?

No, I didn't install it myself it is a complete pain in the ass for the fuel rail pressure system. I tried for hours and finally paid a turbo shop a $100 bucks to put it on.

Updated as of May 8 2019, Banks Derringer no longer communicates with my truck since I upgraded it using the idash 1.8 gauge. But was helpful seeing that it was putting out 18 lbs of boost around 3,500 rpm. Banks sent me another one for free and same issue. I will be calling them shortly after I post this. This past weekend I cleaned my Mass Air flow and S&B cold air intake filter and fuel filter and picked 4 mpg along with some great throttle response. I punched it at the light after about an hour after it rained and it started going sideways on me. That's supposedly without the Banks since it says error.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I've have been running Banks Bullet for 4 Years May 21, its been error free, The Derringer and bullet are both the same power adder R/P. Pressure is the safest way to add power to HPCR, Most Tunes use this same principle when it comes to HP.

Banks Bullet 3.0.jpg

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year
I think I found the issue, the wiring harness from the sensors the clip was broken and not making a good connection. So I used 3 wire ties to fasten them together and seems to have resolved the issue.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Dia-electric ALL connections if 1 drop of water makes it to the Pressure sensor circuit board ,the sensor will fry.