• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who's running a tune

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would give directions on how to preform what I am talking about..You could do this on your engine, then you could make you decision base on your own experience. It would be worth the effort.

Like I stated earlier a lot of unknowns... I Hear Ya on opinions...I have found the so-called experts opinion(s) misleading at times.

Its a fact if you have incoming exhaust gases with NO escape route they are jailed... The Actuator in default close does NOT stop the TUP gases it only block a % the EGR valve regulates how much of these gases travel thru the diffuser tube to the Plenum...Now here's the tricky part the throttle valves open at close according to the boost pressures....at what point does the incoming cool air over coming the gases form the EGR. it really complex setup...a lot of unknowns... What we do know curtailing the exhaust gases reduce plenum soot and cake valves, and help keep oil clean.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Remove diffuser tube and Map sensor and check.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I will take a look when i get some x'tra time.

I did find some pictures online

the 1st one is at 13 K miles with the stock tune and the 2nd one is 3K on stock + 15K on GDE. I'm impressed. I might consider the tune before my warranty is up.

stock tune 13K miles.jpg 3K without tune and 15K miles with tune.jpg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
At time pictures can be misleading...If the soot jailed in the coolant chamber then the problem just moved .

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
TOP Turbine outlet pipe / TUP Turbine up pipe , The EGR valve opens and closes electronically, the exhaust enters the EGR coolant chamber VIA TUP , Just prior to the EGR Chamber is the EGR Actuator, The EGR Actuator is vacuum operated. at the other end of the EGR coolant chamber is the EGR Valve, this Valve is ECM controlled. Its very complex system You still need to consider the TV and plenum shutters impact.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
TOP Turbine outlet pipe / TUP Turbine up pipe , The EGR valve opens and closes electronically, the exhaust enters the EGR coolant chamber VIA TUP , Just prior to the EGR Chamber is the EGR Actuator, The EGR Actuator is vacuum operated. at the other end of the EGR coolant chamber is the EGR Valve, this Valve is ECM controlled. Its very complex system You still need to consider the TV and plenum shutters impact.

Very complex!

The turbocharger intake side has an inlet and and outlet. I've never heard of the "UP" pipe, is that another word for the inlet pipe?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Up pipes are form the exhaust manifolds to Exhaust housing (Turbo) the 3.0 has another up pipe to EGR Chamber, TOP is the outlet side of turbo to exhaust or SCR/DPF.. I suppose you could look at the up pipe as the inlet to EGR chamber.

RollinEcodiesel16

Oct 29, 2016
Truck Year
Running a Banks. Id sell this truck if it wasn't for it. See that trailer. It weighs 3500, 3 horses at 1000 each. 6500. It doesnt pull it stock very well. Would be running in 6 gear and losing a lot of speed through small hills or wind. With banks I can run in 7 and roll. The drivability and the throttle response is excellent. Easily undone to take to the shop for warranty work. Didn't see any mileage difference empty but do get better with a load. The truck wants to run better at 2500rpm. After a hard pull with wind a light will come on. After a few drives and starts it resets itself and goes away. Tried another companies and it put the truck in limp mode, had to erase 23 codes, took 45 minutes with a snap on scanner. I was getting ready to go PPEI system and get away from the emissions when my daughters truck blew at 9000 miles. I have 48K. Rethinking that for warranty reasons. I am probably going to do the rest of banks then when warranty is out send my unit to PPEI. This is the 5th diesel I have done with Banks. 1st eco-diesel. Totally Happy

I went with the 60hp tune for my ecodiesel because I really don't hall much except for my side by side on the weekends. Had it installed about 2 months ago and it is hands down the best product I've bought for any of my trucks to date. The truck pulls like freight train and will eat up a hemi. They do have a 40hp tow tune to keep your egts down when your ready but I don't think you'll be let down by any means. Also, with the warranty situation what I personally did was buy another ecu through dodge for $300+ and have it programmed before I sent my original out to PPEI. God forbid problem arises I throw that old sootcooker back on throw the ecu back on and back it goes to the dealer. For 300 or so bucks I think that's pretty damn good insurance(y)

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I went with the 60hp tune for my ecodiesel because I really don't hall much except for my side by side on the weekends. Had it installed about 2 months ago and it is hands down the best product I've bought for any of my trucks to date. The truck pulls like freight train and will eat up a hemi. They do have a 40hp tow tune to keep your egts down when your ready but I don't think you'll be let down by any means. Also, with the warranty situation what I personally did was buy another ecu through dodge for $300+ and have it programmed before I sent my original out to PPEI. God forbid problem arises I throw that old sootcooker back on throw the ecu back on and back it goes to the dealer. For 300 or so bucks I think that's pretty damn good insurance(y)

Welcome to the forum!

fuel76

Jan 15, 2017
Truck Year

rollinecodiesel16, Have you you had any cel's going off? Also has the PPEI tuner increased your MPG's?....Im torn between the GDE unit and the PPEI...Seems like we have much more information on the GDE set up. Thanks for any help in advance

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
rollinecodiesel16, Have you you had any cel's going off? Also has the PPEI tuner increased your MPG's?....Im torn between the GDE unit and the PPEI...Seems like we have much more information on the GDE set up. Thanks for any help in advance

Welcome to the forum @fuel76

Gary Goodin

Apr 18, 2017
Truck Year

Gary Goodin

Apr 18, 2017
Truck Year
HI, I found your post to be very interesting I have a couple of questions, first , the PPEI, is that a different tune then the
GDE tune, and if so would you say it is better then the GDE. The other thing that caught my attention, is the ECU ;you said you bought one from RAM, who did you get to program it for you. Sounds like a very good idea, and sure beats the $650 the GDE charges for a blank ECU. thanks for sharing with those of us that are not so knowledge about these technical issues..

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
HI, I found your post to be very interesting I have a couple of questions, first , the PPEI, is that a different tune then the
GDE tune, and if so would you say it is better then the GDE. The other thing that caught my attention, is the ECU ;you said you bought one from RAM, who did you get to program it for you. Sounds like a very good idea, and sure beats the $650 the GDE charges for a blank ECU. thanks for sharing with those of us that are not so knowledge about these technical issues..

I would read reviews, most love their PPEI and GDE tunes. It's all a matter of who you want to spend your money with.

Gary Goodin

Apr 18, 2017
Truck Year
ok, thanks for that info. but I still don't know where or how to get the blank ecu coded that You can buy from Chrysler . Are you able to do that yourself?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
ok, thanks for that info. but I still don't know where or how to get the blank ecu coded that You can buy from Chrysler . Are you able to do that yourself?

Not to my knowledge. I'm not sure if GDE or PPEI can either. Best to email each and ask.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year

If you have a blank ECM...GDE will set it up to your truck for 150.00 and then tune it with the hot tune. Then you install the tuned ECM into your truck, and keep your stock ECM.

You can't do it by yourself.