• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel OBD II Flashing now available.

Mzwolle

Jul 1, 2019
Truck Year
I'm new to tuning my truck but I'm not new to modifying cars. I build and race in the SCCA so I have the equipment and tools required for most maintenance and modifications.

I'd like better horsepower & torque, engine braking, and of course no more turbo lag. I tow a trailer maybe 10 times a year, do a lot of highway driving the rest of the time.

I've got a couple questions tha maybe you guys can help me with (Thanks John for your answere above).

Is it reasonable to install the tune, complete an EGR delete, DEF Delete, exahaust* upgrade, Intake upgrade in a few days?

*Does a delete of the DPF help when doing an exhaust upgrade?

Is here a logical process to this that I'm missing? it seems like you have to start with the tune right?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Sorry, I have read a lot about deleting and have some knowledge but I have no experience with actually deleting so I cannot give you any valid answers. There are several posters who have deleted and can give you the right skinny.
If you don't get their replies, do a search across this and other forums - there's a lot of info out there.

I don't know what state you are in. Here in CA if you delete, you won't be able to register the vehicle for street use.

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
You can delete your exhaust in a few hours on your driveway, quicker with a lift.

Yes removing the DPF will give you a free flowing exhaust but you will need off road tuning for the truck to run properly.

If you run an off road tune you just need to remove the DPF but typically everyone just removes everything from the turbo back.

I have not personally removed the EGR but you will need block off plates to cover ports and coolant hose connectors and/or plugs.

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
There hasnt been any activity on this thread in awhile.

Has anyone started using this?

How is it working>

Can you reinstall the "Stock" program?

EDIT: Sorry, my browser didn't show me there were additonal pages - reading them now.
John pretty much covered it but yes!

Best part of OBD2 tuning, you can make changes anytime you'd like 🤘😎🤘

Ehammond

Jul 9, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have SFT tcu tune and love it. Waiting until ecu can be tuned with a handheld. Just prefer that in case problems come up!!!!

John

Nov 13, 2015
I have SFT tcu tune and love it. Waiting until ecu can be tuned with a handheld. Just prefer that in case problems come up!!!!
No reason to wait. It's been out for a while now from Sofa. Maybe 5-6 months or so.

Ehammond

Jul 9, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
You have to use laptop now as I understand it for the ECU. I have the handheld one for the TCU tune.

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
You have to use laptop now as I understand it for the ECU. I have the handheld one for the TCU tune.
No SFT has a handheld for the ECU. You still need a laptop to download the files from the handheld to send off.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Every 3 posts have the words GDE in them, and you say this? :D

I'm not going to play favorites for one of the other because I have neither. We like for our community members to share their experiences with vendors.
Yes, but comments from people who have GDE and share their love for it are totally different then GDE coming on here and flooding the boards promoting themselves.

I'd much rather read comments from people using SKT's (good, the bad) than from SKT slipping in ads to promote their product all the time.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I'd much rather read comments from people using SKT's (good, the bad) than from SKT slipping in ads to promote their product all the time.

This thread started about and discussed PPEI for 7 pages with no input from SFT. In the last 2 pages, I counted 4 "comments from people using SKT's" and zero "SKT slipping in ads". All of SFT's comments were responding to questions and merely extending their 20% discount for the posting latecomers.

I repeat myself, why don't you guys quit the negatives and accept the fact that the SFT tunes are credible, maybe even better than GDE, and the SFT service is proven to be great. You may not like the owner but bashing him or his product IMHO has no place here.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
This thread started about and discussed PPEI for 7 pages with no input from SFT. In the last 2 pages, I counted 4 "comments from people using SKT's" and zero "SKT slipping in ads". All of SFT's comments were responding to questions and merely extending their 20% discount for the posting latecomers.

I repeat myself, why don't you guys quit the negatives and accept the fact that the SFT tunes are credible, maybe even better than GDE, and the SFT service is proven to be great. You may not like the owner but bashing him or his product IMHO has no place here.
who's bashing, I didn't see any bashing? My point was I'd like to hear from the many guys like you that now have SFT with your feedback on this new tune. John Jensen, I read a lot of your posts on here and I really appreciate all your insight, knowledge and feedback, as it helps everyone become more educated on this truck.

Let's face it, SFT is pretty new tune that many of us don't know much about, I'd like to hear from those who have it and tell us what it's all about. Why do you like it? What features does it have that make it better? What parameters do they change in a SFT that makes it better? How's Fuel Economy? # of km between REGENS? How's the oil colour / condition after 10,000 km? Is there Fuel Dilution? Does a stage one turn off EGR? What is soot production like? Hows the LAG time? Power at the pedal? Shifting? Have you had GDE prior? What differences did you notice when you switched?

Everyone's insight certainly helps everyone make the right decision for themselves, but if we don't know enough about what a tune offers, other than what the supplier tells us, how can we decide which is best for what we are looking for?

IMO, reading positive and some negative reviews from true customers holds a lot more merit than what any salesperson says...

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
cds13ca,

Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment, "SKT slipping in ads to promote their product all the time" sounded like bashing to me. The other forum IMHO has gone way too far with their negative SFT comments and I assumed you were bringing more of the same to this forum.

I assumed incorrectly and I apologize. Thanks for your kind words and taking the time to explain your intent.

I too am interested in the answers to the many questions you have raised. My SFT tunes are too new (too few miles) for me to give valid answers. I can say I am satisfied with both and my only concern thus far is the % soot levels and regens. Jimmy has explained why this occurs with his tune. My first regen started at 66% soot level after 111 local miles. While that is not out of line, the GDE tune went a lot further at a higher soot level. I need to know what the regen data is on a long freeway trip at highway speeds. Until then I will be a bit concerned. SFT's up idle and ESC Off features were a real and pleasant surprise. And to know his ECU updates (updates generated by him not by over flashes) are free is a great feature. What we need are reports from the SFT users who put the miles on and who tow.

Later --
Cheers! (y)

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
I was very close to pulling the trigger on the combo tune. I currently run GDE and love it. No issues in the 60k+ miles. Was going to make the switch because I want a trans tune and the ECU handheld just makes it easier for me. Enjoy seeing Johns positive feedback about his tunes. But like others I definitely would like to see some more. If GDE would release a handheld for ECU I would just stick with them since I already have their tune obviously.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
cds13ca,

Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment, "SKT slipping in ads to promote their product all the time" sounded like bashing to me. The other forum IMHO has gone way too far with their negative SFT comments and I assumed you were bringing more of the same to this forum.

I assumed incorrectly and I apologize. Thanks for your kind words and taking the time to explain your intent.

I too am interested in the answers to the many questions you have raised. My SFT tunes are too new (too few miles) for me to give valid answers. I can say I am satisfied with both and my only concern thus far is the % soot levels and regens. Jimmy has explained why this occurs with his tune. My first regen started at 66% soot level after 111 local miles. While that is not out of line, the GDE tune went a lot further at a higher soot level. I need to know what the regen data is on a long freeway trip at highway speeds. Until then I will be a bit concerned. SFT's up idle and ESC Off features were a real and pleasant surprise. And to know his ECU updates (updates generated by him not by over flashes) are free is a great feature. What we need are reports from the SFT users who put the miles on and who tow.

Later --
Cheers! (y)
Thanks John, sorry if my comment sounded like bashing.

I appreciate you sharing some stats, that's really helpful information.

I'm curious how far you can go between regen's on highway driving. The update feature is definitely a handy one to have, no need to visit or send stuff there and wait without a truck...

DieselGuy

Jul 11, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks John, sorry if my comment sounded like bashing.

I appreciate you sharing some stats, that's really helpful information.

I'm curious how far you can go between regen's on highway driving. The update feature is definitely a handy one to have, no need to visit or send stuff there and wait without a truck...
I was very close to pulling the trigger on the combo tune. I currently run GDE and love it. No issues in the 60k+ miles. Was going to make the switch because I want a trans tune and the ECU handheld just makes it easier for me. Enjoy seeing Johns positive feedback about his tunes. But like others I definitely would like to see some more. If GDE would release a handheld for ECU I would just stick with them since I already have their tune obviously.

Hello everyone I'm new here.
I've been studying the GDE and SFT tunes.
Can't make up my mind which way to go.
One thing I don't quite understand is how GDE can electronically shut off the EGR.
The way I see it, the exhaust is still going into the tube/EGR.

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
Hello everyone I'm new here.
I've been studying the GDE and SFT tunes.
Can't make up my mind which way to go.
One thing I don't quite understand is how GDE can electronically shut off the EGR.
The way I see it, the exhaust is still going into the tube/EGR.
There is a valve that allows exhaust to flow through the EGR cooler and back into the intake. They simply just program it to stay shut.