• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone had their ecodiesel catch on fire

Swgunn

Jan 15, 2019
Truck Year
If you figure out something you can do "ecodieselfire" let me know. I'm kinda in the same boat. I guess our insurance co. is going to have a investigation in a week or so. Sorry can't get over it, had to post my pic again.
To prevent this problem carry a fire extinguisher. LOL I did. Save the truck lost the engine. FCA claim no responsibility. Insurance paid the $19,000 repair with a used engine. Used engine came with a one-year warranty Parts Only. Now I have no labor warranty on my engine. The fire happened with only 59000 MIles on the truck. FCA should have replaced with a new engine.

ecoburndup

Jun 15, 2019
Truck Year
Wtf ram

Attachments

• IMG_20190614_141736396.jpg
    IMG_20190614_141736396.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190610_134926278 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190610_134926278 (1).jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20190610_134532916 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190610_134532916 (2).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 30

ms14796

Apr 28, 2019
Truck Year
Update: finally got my truck back from the dealer after 30 days in shop. $7500 insurance repair. Replaced were all engine tunnel hardware, intake manifold, throttle body, wiring harness & fuel lines. Also the ECM/TCM was reflashed to meet EPA lawsuit. Now truck runs like a neutered Dog. No turbo boost at bottom end and transmission is constantly shifting into 7th or 6th gear trying to maintain 2500-3000 RPM while towing. This engine has always run between 8-7th gear with 4500lb trailer unless I'm pulling a very steep hill.
Still waiting for GM step up.

ms14796

Apr 28, 2019
Truck Year
On another note: checked with NHTSA and discovered about 30 engine tires related to this truck including my report.

shanondo4

Jul 26, 2019
Truck Year
Hi everyone, our EcoDiesel engine in our Dodge Ram 1500 caught fire as well.
My dad drove it home from work (he doesn't tow) and parked it in the garage. He couldn't get the engine to turn off, then couldn't get it to reverse or drive. The engine rev'd louder and louder and then black smoke filled the cabin. By the time he jumped out the engine had flames. A call to 911 a fire extinguisher and hose were no match for the fire. He lost part of his home.

Does anyone have advice, contacts, or forums that were helpful to them?

Thanks in advance,

John

Nov 13, 2015
Hi everyone, our EcoDiesel engine in our Dodge Ram 1500 caught fire as well.
My dad drove it home from work (he doesn't tow) and parked it in the garage. He couldn't get the engine to turn off, then couldn't get it to reverse or drive. The engine rev'd louder and louder and then black smoke filled the cabin. By the time he jumped out the engine had flames. A call to 911 a fire extinguisher and hose were no match for the fire. He lost part of his home.

Does anyone have advice, contacts, or forums that were helpful to them?

Thanks in advance,
OMG this is awful.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Get rid of the sound crap and the top cover so u can see fuel leaks and keep the engine heat lower

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So after reading this thread I am totally bummed for everyones ED that burned up. But did anyone ever get a firm cause of the fires?

shanondo4

Jul 26, 2019
Truck Year
So after reading this thread I am totally bummed for everyones ED that burned up. But did anyone ever get a firm cause of the fires?
In our situation, we were told it was an 'electrical fire'. Some wiring in the engine came loose, shorted, sparked & caught fire.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
In our situation, we were told it was an 'electrical fire'. Some wiring in the engine came loose, shorted, sparked & caught fire.

If this speculation is correct, Than every ED has the potential to catch on fire, because they all have the same wiring.

Back in 1996 We purchase new Ford F-250 ,it had a cabin Fire and melted the entire Dash, it was towed to Minor Ford in New Brighton MN, Ford replace the F-250 no questions asked, It was discover later that ground wires in the dash became hot and fell onto other wires and the fire started, it was related to our electronic Cables to operate of lift on our dump trailers, We added more ground wires and it never happened again.

Fiat behavior with ecodiesel problems is absolutely unacceptable ( One of the reason I no longer own ED) IMO a majority of ED owners are liberal in NOT demanding answers, So Fait just continues to cover up ALL the 3.0 problems....

Every Owner that I recommended to Purchase the ED traded or sold it except one, I care more about My fellow man than Fait does about it Buyers and as long as ED owners except Fiats worthless standards these problems will continue.

Shanondo4, the Vehicle lift system should have shut down when the fuel lines melted, and the CP4 COV should have closed and the vehicle would have stop running, the Revs are wired that means it had some type of combustion liquid (Most likely oil) Now the lockup gear shift is really a problem when fires occur, you would have had to pull the cover and then the rip cord for (N) (Lower left of dash) and push the vehicle out of the Garage ....Hmmmm all when on Fire..X2 on The Hmmmmm.

If ED owners would grow some balls and Demand answers Fiat would not be serving them lies and owners would get some Justice from Fiat, IMO a majority of ED owners will continue to be 1500diesel.com blind.

John

Nov 13, 2015
There's a cable to the starter that can rub on a metal bracket that has a sharp edge. At least one fire was determined to have started there.
It's the vertical cable in the picture not the shifter interlock cable you see is also burnt as a result of the starter cable fire.

Attachments

• Fire.JPG
    Fire.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 25

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
$.0.25 worth of wire loom would solve that. Nice Pic John.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Just curious. From the posts I am seeing electrical (?) as the common cause, and inconsistent at that! I gotta say that some of those fires were pretty fierce judging by the pictures.
In 1994 I had a brand new Mitsubishi Galant catch fire. less than 10000 miles. Never got the cause of the fire and never got any resolution. Had to settle for a total insurance loss.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Many engine compartment fires are related to Rodents, Many out door rodents can build nests in a matter of hours, the ED sound foam can be crewed and relocated in minutes couple that with sticks and dry grass and its a lethal combination. This is why I remove that foam and covers form every vehicle I own. all that foam and cover does is provide camouflage for the rodents that insult many Americans work ethics, They really are more industrious then some Humans.

R.Smitty

Oct 22, 2018
Truck Year
Yep. My beautiful 2015 Laramie caught on fire yesterday while driving to town. Luckily not far from fire department but still everything under the hood is toast. Have to wait till Monday to see how much of a nightmare this is going to be. Have one payment left to get it paid off. :(

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
How many miles?