• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My adventure with SofaKingTuned

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Hey fellas

I wanted to start a little thread on my experience with SKT. I ordered both engine tunes and their trans tune the other week.

The order came in today and everything was there. I have contacted them with a question about the engine touch tuner, it seemed as if it was included but wasn’t. No biggie.

Setup on the computer fought me due to slow internet speed but I got the software downloaded. Once I did the boot up on the truck with the transmission tuner it swiftly downloaded into their software and they will notify me when it’s ready. I noticed that their video did not have sound when walking through the steps for the software, but the screen was clear and they take their time to show you what needs to be set where.

I got home late so I didn’t have much time to fiddle with the touch screen tuner. It does not come with a mount for the windshield it appears to be designed to service and tune only. I could be wrong but it is nice to have features the truck didn’t come with at the tip of your fingers. 94740D93-AB37-4B98-B6C0-08954AD766A1.jpeg

The engine update unit is simple yet gets the job done. All the cables and connectors seem to be very nicely made.

And to top it off they include a nice sticker!

Now to the dirt of performance.

Factory tuned the best I could accomplish is 9.52s in a “closed course” road without 4wd launch and all the turbo spool up. That was foot off the brake and slam on the gas.
I attached a few other variables that my monitor app shows. Please keep in mind my factory tire size is wrong, I have 35’s instead of 275’s. So that will mean your results will differ. Also it is technology so it times could be plus or minus. I attempted different tests Saturday and two final today. C2F20F71-E66B-47EB-9CE6-C7F5415B223F.png45833CA4-8373-48F1-876B-5DFB21517DFB.png3850E8E4-6AA3-4537-81CF-9CAE1E3AE975.png
The ones above are Saturday 11/30/2019

4BDDB5A0-AD07-4E9D-B6D0-76B2DC2BC0AD.png266CB93A-CADF-4331-8707-B27BF666C708.png1AB055EC-6BA6-469A-86D4-0AB70E047FBE.png
These were today’s scenario 12/2/2019

I will keep everyone posted once the tunes arrive and I’ll try to keep track of how long it takes to install them on the touch screen and on the ecm.
If anyone wants more info or more variables in outdoor temp or dpf filter status before I tune let me know. I want to educate as many as I can since reviews and performance and real life reviews appeared to be few and far between with these guys and if I can help someone in the meantime then cool.

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Awesome info! Glad to see some results with SKT. I was kind of skeptical about how well it would perform. Did you do the stage 2 engine tune?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I currently have not installed the tune yet. I will be doing stage 1 install and transmission tune install tonight when I get home and posting results. I ordered the ecu touch screen so I can tune easier. (Communication by email takes a little long but they’re awesome and full of information.) The handheld will be nice for trips to the dealer if it ever needs to for aem and egr recall so I get warranty. I want to switch to stock and get aem done and egr replaced when it’s available and as soon as I get in the truck flash it back to disable egr. I plan to leave the truck dpf system in tact so i DONT piss my neighbors off lol.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just installed hddiesel supply 2 three trucks today works great I don't trust skt

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
he was visited buy the epa if u don't shut down the egr your tune won't pass just like ppei closed down their tune biz. and gde plus thourbred diesel sells no tunes and the egr is the main problem you can't ever buy delete pipes any where

Last edited:

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
he was visited buy the epa if u don't shut down the egr your tune won't pass just like ppei closed down their tune biz. and gde plus thourbred diesel sells no tunes and the egr is the main problem you can't ever buy delete pipes any where
Your statement is invalid,..

SKT asks if your egr is removed. He doesn’t know if your truck is or not he is simply writing the program and sending it to you. He’s not selling them ship and plug and play As other companies have been....

I’m not endorsing his product nor am I bashing. I’m simply trying to offer an open minded opinion based off my start to finish with the products I’ve purchased and hoping my reviews and experience helps others make their mind up to buy or not whatever they want to do.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE.

Installed the transmission tune today after work. Fairly straight forward. Once you receive the email download the attachment to your “desktop” computer screen. Attach touchscreen to computer and upload the attachment to touchscreen!

Attach touchscreen to obd port and turn key to run with the truck off. Select tuning.
C4B8787F-069D-4766-BF71-06556591646C.jpeg
F79B8BC3-B7B6-4774-AA8B-ABF8F5C28209.jpeg
Select your stock tune or new tune
1BC96B2D-76CB-45D6-AEBF-8D0A78CEC6BC.jpeg
hit the right arrow and it’ll begin it’s process. You’ll get 40,000 errors but goes back to normal when you reset the key!
6678AED9-C2C9-4D79-9FD1-F8F1BC8F45F1.jpegC4DD6642-663F-47B6-BA33-9A496D99A5E3.jpeg
1061CA3F-BA61-4706-88F8-B501D05EE202.jpeg86A1B69E-9C7B-499A-B3B0-F1E31F79F674.jpeg
35ACC304-A815-4950-8408-A9F9F75B4DF4.jpegF9BAA384-3203-48A7-9A76-258B69263B40.jpeg
Turn the key off and back on to start the truck and your good to go!

I noticed in my initial 10 mile trip the truck doesn’t hunt for gears like it used to and shifts are much more pronounced. Mileage according to the evic went up .5. I have been averaging 17-19 on a tank with the 35’s so I will update once I complete a full tank of fuel through it!

I will also do a full tank write up on ecu tune without transmission tune and with transmission tune.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE.

TRANSMISSION TUNE
I have approx 200 miles on the trans tune and it seems to be doing great. When passing just a slight push of the pedal puts you in your power zone and makes passing a fun and easy experience as it should have been from the start. Sometimes it seems to me as it shifts a tick too soon and is a little lower rpm than I’m used to but it could be the design of the program. All in all I’m happy so far!

ENGINE UPDATE

Installed stage 1 today do I couldn’t wait lol.
Off the line it spins them without even trying.
Egr is off and the turbo immediately spools and it’s a rush to drive it. I will try to get a 0-60 comparison up soon. Mileage will also be posted once I get a good trip somewhere. As of now I don’t have useful mileage to post

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
This is a great writeup and thank you. I am enjoying my truck with the GDE and I have had the SKT trans tune for over a month now but no windows laptop to install it! :( I think I have someone on the hook to help out though so maybe this weekend.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Awesome! You will need the computer twice. Once to submit your file through their software and once again to download your file from your email and send it to the tuner through their software. Once that’s done you won’t need it again! They have a “rally” tune for it also I have been thinking about purchasing for the extra 25$. It says it’s similar to a sport mode and helps your trans in the best gear for power based off speed and what not.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE.

This morning I noticed a little surge before warned up I have never noticed before. Not sure if tune related, erg unplugged And not blanked off, or a sensor dirty. I’m hoping my map sensor is dirty.

KnowFear

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Great read so far! I'm interested in the SKT as well so it's great to hear about your stock to tune comparison. Thank you for sharing!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Thank you for all who have commented! Glad my experience has started to help a few.

I want to post a mid day update for y’all.

TRANSMISSION TUNE

I have around 450 miles on the transmission and I’m telling you right now I don’t know how mopar didn’t release this from the factory. With 200 without the ecu update it immediately made the truck a beast. I noticed passing wasn’t a chore and if you wanted to boot scoot and boogie down the road you didn’t need the foot to the floor for the transmission to shift into the power zones like velvet. I’m truly impressed on just the difference the trans tune has made in my 2014 eco.

ENGINE TUNE UPDATE.

Currently have put 150 miles on it. Trip to kings dominion last night had me like Mario Andretti on i95! I told the ole lady you spend the money you have to see what it will do! From a 0-60 aspect I haven’t had a chance to get to the “track” to test the new configuration. We took it to the Drs today and I noticed when we left it was surging. Did some research and decided to check the map sensor. 30k miles on this sensor and egr tube since my egr shit the bed with the previous owner. E7AD6E4F-D011-4437-A6C0-5AED13EC68C9.jpeg9CA75879-7AF3-4A56-BD20-16DF6C096315.jpegF93F3EAF-0A8E-46AA-B46F-2F8F6EFDFCDA.jpeg

after cleaning I found the surge still exists. I emailed jimmy awaiting for him to open.im sure he cussed me with all my questions but I made an investment and I want to ensure it’s longevity. I ended up plugging the egr back in for shits and giggles and the surge went away instantly. I believe it’s the vacuum line attached to it still trying to operate. I ordered the block off plates and removal kit but never showed up THURSDAY like promised 😡 oh well. It’s a simple fix and I’ll update once it’s got the plates on it and vacuum removed!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE.

Spoke with jimmy and was right on my surge problem and it has been corrected by removing both set of pigtails going to it.

I Had a service call 10 minutes from the house so I decided to do a pit stop at the “track.” Engine was not to full temp. Def was close to before and 200 miles on tune so far no codes. Haven’t put played on to block off the egr tube so these set of figures isn’t final nor a exact total for improvement. But I did better in 1 test run what the stock took multiple runs took to get its best run at. Shaved a second off my stock fastest time!

Also I did a 4wd launch in the driveway for shits and giggles and it was fun. 🙃
F4D9B910-1779-4406-9BFA-FE117E668DC5.png
1188D1B1-16B4-4461-8D88-765B45F4497D.png48C1FFFC-624C-4A9B-BB11-2F6AAEFF0BC0.png

Last edited:

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
If money is your biggest concern then you don’t own an eco. I’d rather pay a few bucks for the chance that my investment (that cost MORE than the tuner did,) lasts longer, runs better and cleaner. I’m not saying it’s a cheap upgrade nor is it the longest tested tuner on the market but dollar for dollar and for convenience of not having to dig your ecm out of the engine bay, I’d spend 650$ again if I had to for dreams of a longer future with the truck I’ve grown to love and hate.

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks for your updates - great read. I'm coming up on an oil change/service and I've just looked at your EGR tube picture (I'm changing at 5k intervals after buying my ED with 15k on it and installing the EDI tune just about immediately). WOW, is that ugly, and I have to believe mine would look the same. Even though the Tune greatly reduces (eliminates?) the EGR function, why would I NOT have my mechanic pull and clean the EGR tube? Was also curious if other ED owners on this forum inspect/clean these with any kind of frequency?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for your updates - great read. I'm coming up on an oil change/service and I've just looked at your EGR tube picture (I'm changing at 5k intervals after buying my ED with 15k on it and installing the EDI tune just about immediately). WOW, is that ugly, and I have to believe mine would look the same. Even though the Tune greatly reduces (eliminates?) the EGR function, why would I NOT have my mechanic pull and clean the EGR tube? Was also curious if other ED owners on this forum inspect/clean these with any kind of frequency?

The tune allows removal of the egr pigtails and deletion of it without error It does not “turn off” the egr. Reading the forums this egr tube and map sensor seem to need to be tended to, but it does not say how often. Mine had 30k with new intake and egr and tube so I decided to have a look and I’m glad I did. It’s very easy to do yourself. Remove the plastic motor cover and intake tube and you will have access to the egr bolts, 2 on intake and 2 on egr. Tube pulls right out but be careful as to not knock any more soot down into the intake. Clean with a dry rag for the major chunks and diesel on a rag for the rest. You may also choose to let it soak overnight. Map sensor is 1 t40 bolt back by the turn down elbow at the back of the intake. All gaskets seems reused so be sure to inspect them.