• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My adventure with SofaKingTuned

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Alrite guys finally got the tuners in the mail last week. I did the stage 2 delete didn’t really have any issues. I did find out that apparently my truck has already had the egr cooler replaced because the pain in the a$@ T40 bolt was already removed and another one of the brackets were not in place. No leaks no issues super happy with the SFT handheld. Sent my stock TCM file to them just waiting to get that back for the tranny. Truck actually sounds and feels like a truck now!! And not to mention the chances of it setting on fire with me and my family inside is gone now!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
John,

I paid extra for the aftermarket side towing kit, it got me another 3mpg!!!

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Question for those that have done the delete... the several sensors that were plugged into the factory exhaust did y’all just zip tie them up out of the way. That’s what I did no issues just curious what everyone did.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Question for those that have done the delete... the several sensors that were plugged into the factory exhaust did y’all just zip tie them up out of the way. That’s what I did no issues just curious what everyone did.

I put all of mine in a zip lock bag (used a few to provide more protection) and sealed them up, and then zip tied everything out of the way.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
TRIP INFO

Pulled my bosses skid steer back today 😭 I have 1001 uses around the house for it but he needed it back. Truck did awesome as always. Took a screen shot of the highest egts I hd the whole trip. Loving the tune!!844D658C-DF2D-4E11-AE9E-DBDBEC8AD12A.pngA993FFB5-1079-4704-9BA1-DFF9EA8731FF.png

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
OPINION TIME

So I got to thinking today, at 143k back in 2013 I dropped the pan on my 2001 ram 1500 and found retaining the pieces of my overdrive retaining spring in the pan and worried about my trans failing. I worried and worried and religiously changed my trans fluid at 10k, and added Lucas. I ragged the hell out of that truck till 202k. Eventually life turned and I needed a newer truck with less miles and more room so I upgraded to my 2014 ram. Got my girl back in 2018 and it’s been love hate since. I bought my 2001 for 3k, and MIGHT have put 3k in misc repairs(batteries, radiator, intake plentum gasket, u joints, etc.) I spent a significant amount more for my 2014 and in the past 1.5 years spent ~1200 in tunes, 900~ on a glow plug issue, 400$~ front and rear pads and rotors, front wheel hubs, and I’m sure I forgot something else.

My point is, I worried about my 2001 for years and never did much in repairs, just prevented what I could and it lasted me way farther than what I anticipated and my 2014 I have done what I can to prevent future failures. I’ve spent more in preventative than I did with my ole trusty 2nd gen, but if it pays off in the long run than I’ll be happy. I change my oil around 6-7k as advised by my local diesel tech who’s serviced many ecos, gonna change trans fluid soon and eventually every 40-50k and checking the rear fluids every oil change. I bought a worry but it’s my worry so I will own it as long as I can. If it fails it fails, but if I do my part I hope my truck will keep doing it’s part!!

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Hey good luck on at least trying!
But ask a GM guy about reliability, and he'll say it's been great, just regular maintenance, and in reality they've spent more in repairs than you have lol!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Tremper126, Your what I call seasoned Dsl owner, it will be OK, and if you upgrade to less parts takes a huge bite out of the worry.... Hey remember the 53 Block end of world that never happened, or the trust ring explosion in the 48re, I could go on and on. You know the short comings of the 3.0VM do what you can on those and let time sort out the rest.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
PERSONAL UPDATE:

Got about 4K tuned and I love it! Sorry I haven’t been more active, I had concrete poured for ole girl and I’m anxiously waiting to build the walls and back her in the hole!! My matco guy came by with free fender mats and a creeper as a garage gift!! Checked the oil in the truck and she’s still pretty clear with over 1k on it unlike before when 20 miles it was black as tar.
80F54EEF-9BF2-49DE-8086-CE72DE78566D.jpeg

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
I’ve put about the same on mine since tuned and deleted and I’m loving it!! It’s getting 35s put on it in the morning!!! And just on another note I am averaging about 27.5 mpg everyday and with a couple thousand pound boat and gear about 22.5. I don’t know of many trucks that can do that. I know the Eco has its share of problems and issues but I have to say I’m pretty happy with it.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
C'mon pcatoe, I ran test on My 3.0 with fuel analayzer and My every Day driving Mixed Hwy/City in 4.3 Years of ownership was although good MPG was nowhere close to those #s, If I had to guess like many ED owners they believe the L-O-M, HC would be eye opening different results in over-all MPG.

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
C'mon pcatoe, I ran test on My 3.0 with fuel analayzer and My every Day driving Mixed Hwy/City in 4.3 Years of ownership was although good MPG was nowhere close to those #s, If I had to guess like many ED owners they believe the L-O-M, HC would be eye opening different results in over-all MPG.
I meant to put in that post that that what was on the truck display. I did not hand calculate it out so yea I agree those are probably pretty high numbers but I can tell you I am getting around 450 miles or so to a tank and that is a lot of mixed driving as well.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Still good MPG. HC and report back.

GreesyTaco

Jan 28, 2020
Truck Year
I installed the SFT stage 1 and tranny tune in January. I had zero issues of any kind. Download and install were easy as shit. It was a pricey setup, but having the stage 2 ready to go helps settle the sticker shock. I am ecstatic with the tune. Fixed the truck altogether. Occasionally the turbo brake will activate at odd times, then not activate when I think it should, but it is a non issue.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Around 6k so far tuned! Averaging 20 a tank with 35’s and speedometer uncalibrated. Just a curiosity question... anyone aware if I can full delete and keep running stage 1? Not really needing the second stage tune but I’ll do it if need be!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
10K UPDATE:
D07FA871-BAB1-43FA-B74A-FA067D32BB38.jpeg
Truck is doing awesome! Averaging around 20mpg still with my 35’s. Speedometer is around 3 mph off at 60mph so once I get out of my cheesy third party warranty, I’ll recalibrate speedometer and fully delete.

I only have egr blanked off and unplugged, I have noticed the truck hardly used coolant before but it’s staying in a steady spot since I topped it off when I tuned and did the last oil change.

Speaking of oil, I’m around 7k on this oil and it’s still able to see through it just a smidge unlike before when 100 miles made it blacker than asphalt.

I have no issues pulling my 19’ ranger boat, nor does it even notice my 7x12 enclosed v nose trailer loaded with equippment, tools and supplies.

I DO wish the trans tune was a little more responsive with the pedal. Sometimes I feel it should shift a little sooner when I’m going 10-20mph and punch it, but that could be because I haven’t changed my filter and fluid in the trans yet 😂

I have 143k on it now, bought it with 113k. Tuned at 133k. I have changed (see glow plug story on another thread) one glow plug, the backup camera because it was blurry, wheel hubs, front and rear pads and rotors shortly after purchase, regular oil changes from 7-8k miles, along with fuel filter changes at the same time. I’ve replaced 3rd brake light when I bought it due to cab leak. Changed out reverse bulbs, cargo bulbs, cabin map lights, headlights and fog lights all to led. Added window vent visors, window tint, 1.5” wheel spacers all around, 1000hd bags to the rear, 1.5” body liftand 2” leveling kit to the truck.

I love my rig, she serves its purpose!

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just wanted to ask which product you used to blank off EGR. And my second question is did you need to unplug something or were you all set from a software standpoint. My understanding is that with my gde tune, I can blank off EGR and I am good to go.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I found a 100$ blank off kit on eBay, I unplugged mine because the motor was surging slightly

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Just did my 8k oil change and I cannot believe the difference in the oil color!!! Much cleaner than ever before and it didn’t require 5 paper towels to clean off my oil plug. Went ahead and did fuel filter since I got lazy and do it last time and that was slam black. Guess I won’t be skipping that again haha