• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P203e code

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone out there have experience with the p203e code. It's "reductant level sensor circuit intermittent/erratic" I reset the code and I've drove about 30 miles with it reset ,CEL hasn't come back on but it is pending so I know it's about to.I put another 2.5 gallons of DEF in and the gauge didn't move so the level sensor definitely has some kind of issue.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
I still have this code ,reset it daily. From my understanding the gauge built into the DEF tank is bad and the whole tank will have to be replaced. Haven't talked to dealer yet but my take from research it's about $2000.00 plus for the tank and labor. I was wondering if a Delete kit and tune would take care of this code and and do away with the DEF all together. Anyone out there have any experience with this code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I still have this code ,reset it daily. From my understanding the gauge built into the DEF tank is bad and the whole tank will have to be replaced. Haven't talked to dealer yet but my take from research it's about $2000.00 plus for the tank and labor. I was wondering if a Delete kit and tune would take care of this code and and do away with the DEF all together. Anyone out there have any experience with this code?

Before going the delete route, I would have the issue taken care of first(as long as you're under warranty). Then go the delete route.. it would be bad if the delete for some reason didn't take care of the trouble code.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
My thoughts exactly, but this isn't covered by the powertrain warranty from what I've been told. I hate to spend $2000 plus either way on it but if a delete would eliminate the problem that's the way I'd rather go. I've emailed a couple of companies about their delete kits and tune and if this would remedy my problem but no response. For now I just make sure it has plenty of DEF and drive has no issues other that the DEF gauge reads 1/4 tank no matter what and an annoying CEL. I will tell you this I can reset it and after about 45-50 miles like clock work it's back on

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
So I drove 150 miles this weekend no CEL then this evening the CEL came on with the same code and 5 miles later the 500 miles to no restart DEF low. The tank is full or close to full ,DEF ran out the top when filling it about 3 days ago. So I guess I'm fixing to to have to just bite the bullet and fix it. I just wish I knew if a delete and tune would take care of all this ,rather spend money on it running better than on something that could go out again.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
So I drove 150 miles this weekend no CEL then this evening the CEL came on with the same code and 5 miles later the 500 miles to no restart DEF low. The tank is full or close to full ,DEF ran out the top when filling it about 3 days ago. So I guess I'm fixing to to have to just bite the bullet and fix it. I just wish I knew if a delete and tune would take care of all this ,rather spend money on it running better than on something that could go out again.

i didn't know the emissions is not covered under that warranty? what is the time then for dpf and exhaust things??

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
From the way I understand them the rf sensor built into the tank is covered by the 36,000 or a purchased extended warranty. I'm at 55,000 with no extended warranty.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
I plan on trying a couple more just to see what they say.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
Ok so I read on another forum to drain the DEF,
Drop the tank, put 7-8 gallons of distilled water in tank and let set overnight, drain distilled water, reinstall tank, clear any codes, turn key to on position (do not start),put in 4-5 gallons, then start and drive. Well I did this,and at first I thought I just wasted time and distilled water but 5 miles later while stopped at a red light the gauge went from empty where it's been for 3 months (near empty)to just a little over half now (I put in 5 gallons) no restart in 500 miles gone and 70 plus miles with no codes. What in the heck does distilled water do?

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
It dulites all of the deposits left behind from the urea. Which is why your gauge wouldn't move in the first place. Pour some def fluid in a drip pan and let it evaporate its amazing what it leaves behind.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
It dulites all of the deposits left behind from the urea. Which is why your gauge wouldn't move in the first place. Pour some def fluid in a drip pan and let it evaporate its amazing what it leaves behind.

I'm not debating this It just makes no sense on what is suppose to be a closed system could get the air for the crystallization to happen and with DEF fluid being mostly distilled water why didn't having a full tank dissolve any crystallization plus keep air out. The other deal is the gauge isn't a manual gauge it's from everything I've read or service department I've talked to a RF. From my experience working in a oil refinery we use RF gauges on tanks that have the nastiest thickest stuff because it has no moving parts to get hung up and the RF will see right through any accumulation on them. That being said I'm not arguing your point because it worked and I'm glad it did. Just wish the gauge was removable so I could have actually seen what the deal was plus would be cheaper to replace just a gauge rather than the whole tank. The whole problem may come back at some point and I'll probably do the same procedure before I take it to a dealer or spend any money on it after all $7 for distilled water beats a couple thousand any day.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
That's great info @Nutt .

You should have done a write up and documented it for us :D. I have a feeling you won't be the last guy to have this problem.

Evidently wasn't the first either, just hope this fix will last and isn't a continuing off and on problem. I came across this info on another eco diesel forum after searching for others with the p203e code there doesn't seem to be a lot out there on this one so let's hope it stays that way for everyone.
Merry Christmas everyone

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Not trying to hijack the thread and I am soooo glad it worked out for you!! Good information!! Now then, I was talking to a guy who says he works on diesels and told me to be very careful with what I put in my def tank. I saw the prices for the one and 2.5 gallon jugs and decided on my own to fill up at a high volume truck stop that is local to me. It smelled the same and I have gone many thousands of miles without issue, and I am now to the point where I am ready to fill up again. (At the time it was $2.77/gallon!). Anyone hear of shutdown or codes due to poor quality def?

Radio_Flyer

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
I use the truck stop pumps with my 3500 and Peak in my 1500. No issues with either and I go through a lot in my 3500. The big rigs pump a lot of it, so it is always fresh. One word of advice with Walmart, make sure the the jugs are sealed. I had two jugs from two different stores that were open. Apparently there are a lot of issues with people buying DEF, filling their trucks, then filling the jugs with water and returning them. Just check out some diesel forums.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I use the truck stop pumps with my 3500 and Peak in my 1500. No issues with either and I go through a lot in my 3500. The big rigs pump a lot of it, so it is always fresh. One word of advice with Walmart, make sure the the jugs are sealed. I had two jugs from two different stores that were open. Apparently there are a lot of issues with people buying DEF, filling their trucks, then filling the jugs with water and returning them. Just check out some diesel forums.

People don't surprised me anymore.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I actually just got this code last night, only showing as a historical code though, not active or pending, my Def gauge is at about 5/8. I haven't tried resetting it and don't really want to. Think i'll drive it as is and see if it goes away in the 40x key cycles without fault for a code to go away otherwise i'll be dropping the tank I guess. Luckily the February weather is fair thus far for Minnesota anyways.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Happily I can report that my CEL is now off. I did NOT clear the fault code whatsoever. Friday-Tuesday morning and it was all good. No big deal.

By the way I have bulk pump Def from the big rig lane if it is of any concern.