• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PSA: FCA Changes Oil Specification Requirement for Ram 1500 EcoDiesels

Derian

Jun 2, 2016
Truck Year
This is a timely post. Tried to find two quarts of the Pennzoil today, first two dealers I called (one where I purchased) said FCA called for the 5W-40, one had Rotella in stock, the other said it was Pennzoil. Since I was already driving around, stopped at a third dealer, and he had the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30. Got two quarts to carry on my first road trip, will do about 5000 miles in the next 2.5 weeks.

As a side note, I do have the diesel supplement (had to ask FCA for all the manuals dealer didn't give me) and got confused as the 2500/3500 section does call for Shell Rotella. All this back and forth is most likely about standardization. I've always used Pennzoil in all my vehicles and when it comes time for service will take it back to dealer #3 and see at that time what they are using. Stay tuned.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
This is a timely post. Tried to find two quarts of the Pennzoil today, first two dealers I called (one where I purchased) said FCA called for the 5W-40, one had Rotella in stock, the other said it was Pennzoil. Since I was already driving around, stopped at a third dealer, and he had the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30. Got two quarts to carry on my first road trip, will do about 5000 miles in the next 2.5 weeks.

As a side note, I do have the diesel supplement (had to ask FCA for all the manuals dealer didn't give me) and got confused as the 2500/3500 section does call for Shell Rotella. All this back and forth is most likely about standardization. I've always used Pennzoil in all my vehicles and when it comes time for service will take it back to dealer #3 and see at that time what they are using. Stay tuned.
Well I wish you luck

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
Well I dropped a line to FCA and have not heard back from them as of yet. They have until 7/19/16 according to their website to reply.
It's amazing how they change their mind about something that they have been voiding peoples warranty on without telling anyone. I don't want the dealer to do my oil changes because they are just to expensive at >$200. Beside I can do it myself, save money and be assured it's done correctly.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Do you know of any warranties that customers have had voided because of incorrect oil?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
There are spattering's of people throughout this forum that have spouted about void warranties due to the incorrect oil type. Whether they put it in or the dealer put in the wrong type. Personally if the dealer put it in then they are now responsible for the engine. I don't know anyone personally that has had an issue because of that because FCA would have to prove the oil in the engine is not the correct type and anybody with a little bit of common sense would drain the incorrect oil out and replace it with the correct oil prior to taking the truck to the shop which would obviously contaminate any evidence.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I've read just about every new post since joining and can't recall warranty being denied because of the wrong type of oil used. But I could be mistaken. Although this oil debacle is concerning, it's a bit overblown. We can now run oil that is cheaper, more readily available, and that has been proven effective in many diesels over the years. I don't think at this time there's any problem with running the old spec or new oil. Just my take on it.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I've read just about every new post since joining and can't recall warranty being denied because of the wrong type of oil used. But I could be mistaken. Although this oil debacle is concerning, it's a bit overblown. We can now run oil that is cheaper, more readily available, and that has been proven effective in many diesels over the years. I don't think at this time there's any problem with running the old spec or new oil. Just my take on it.

Yeah I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to run a 5w-40 oil, I guarantee the VOA's on CJ-4 based oils compared to the European crap are way better. As a customer I can't be mad at FCA for this change either. This happens in the automotive industry all the time. It's kind of like a TSB, should we get mad at them for fixing issues? I also don't expect every person in a dealership to know about a change like this. A lot of those people don't know or care about what kind of oil an engine takes, they only care that you make your payment every month and bring it to them for service. This is awesome in my opinion I can run the same oil in both my trucks and at about half the cost of the inferior European product spec

roydake

Jun 24, 2016
Truck Year
Revisions....mmmmmmmmmmmmm I did get some firm info from my dealer an hour or so ago (after dropping the truck off for some warranty work) that THEIR recommend 1st service oil change occurs at 6 months or 8000 kms...so I'll keep in mind whether it's 5w30 or 5w40..
Ram.ca website didn't show anything by way of revisions...was up 'till 0015 checking and reading and looking...good thing retirement is an everyday thing for me now....
LOL
Roy:sleep:

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I stopped by dealership on way in from work. Just asked if anyone knew about the switch. They did not. Guys behind the counter just pull & order parts. Didn't expect them to know honestly. No biggie. All I care about is when he looked up the oil for my truck it is now 5w-40 CJ-4. All the info I needed....

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
I just got off the Phone with FCA Canada. They assured me, the Oil for my Truck is Euro L 5W-30. It says so in the Manual.
So, I double checked. The Canadian Manual calls for Euro L 5W-30, the American Manual now calls for Rotella T6 5W-40.
I asked why is this," I can't explain that, you have to go by the Can. Manual since it is a Can. Truck! " I said the Truck was made
in Michigan, USA. " You Manual calls for Euro L 5W-30 and that is what you have to use. Go figure!

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I just got off the Phone with FCA Canada. They assured me, the Oil for my Truck is Euro L 5W-30. It says so in the Manual.
So, I double checked. The Canadian Manual calls for Euro L 5W-30, the American Manual now calls for Rotella T6 5W-40.
I asked why is this," I can't explain that, you have to go by the Can. Manual since it is a Can. Truck! " I said the Truck was made
in Michigan, USA. " You Manual calls for Euro L 5W-30 and that is what you have to use. Go figure!
It will change lol

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Lol I'm 10 min from the Canadian Border I can't get a straight answer as to if they're actually changing it or not. And what happens with the old spec oil as I have 2.5 gallons of 5w30 in my garage.

No luck

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I did actually get a call back from the parts department yesterday but they had only called their oil supplier which is both shell and Pennzoil who told him that Pennzoil euro is still the oil for our trucks.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I work at diesel shop and called my guy I get parts from, FCA sent out an email, whether everyone has read it or got it yet I don't know, but the update states that they can now use CJ-4 in the EcoDiesel, personally if I were you, use up your stock of 5-30 and be done with it

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I work at diesel shop and called my guy I get parts from, FCA sent out an email, whether everyone has read it or got it yet I don't know, but the update states that they can now use CJ-4 in the EcoDiesel, personally if I were you, use up your stock of 5-30 and be done with it
I'm using cj4 5w30.... I wonder..?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
This is the oil I got most recently

Attachments

• Blue-Flame 5W-30 HD Motor Oil.pdf
    388.7 KB · Views: 22

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I'd say that blue flame is pretty good stuff, better than that EURO L stuff

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I've spoken with champion pretty thoroughly about this oil and it was designed and released the oil for the ecodiesel yet it is 5w30 and cj4 but didn't get Ms-11106 ating. Though it's just basically a Blue dyed version of their low ash low saps syngold oil.

I'm actually planning to send this oil change to blackstone which I've never done before

Last edited:

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I've spoken with champion pretty thoroughly about this oil and it was designed and released the oil for Tim ecodiesel yet it is 5w30 and cj4 but didn't get Ms-11106 ating. Though it's just basically a Blue dyed version of their low ash low saps syngold oil.

I'm actually planning to send this oil change to blackstone which I've never done before

Talking to our oil rep and they say they have problems with the lower viscosity oils shearing, which also occurs on a 40w but it doesn't lose its protective capability