• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PSA: FCA Changes Oil Specification Requirement for Ram 1500 EcoDiesels

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Alright guys that's enough. I honestly haven't found any UOI's, TBN's or even a VOI on the champion oil, but I've never run Pennzoil in my life with the exception of whatever concoctions the factory fill is. It's just not my choice. Always preferred Mobil1 in all vehicles. Regardless I tried the Champion brand and driving and economy performance is perfectly fine in my opinion and I am happy with it.

For curiosities sake I do plan to send to blackstone for all of the above when I change this oil. That way it can truly be compared against everyone's favored Pennzoil or secondly Kendall.

I wanted to run ESP as I stated before I am a Mobil1 guy but it's just not that readily available and is expensive. Though I guess the same ended up being the case for Champion lol

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I didn't make a big sweeping claim, I admitted it was an opinion, seems like you have a stick up your ass, am I advertising for Champion? I don't think so. If I want to state my opinion that the champion oil is better than than the Euro L, I am free to make that statement, I don't need to back it up at all. Oil preference is like brand of vehicle, I have an opinion and so do you and do you have proof that your choice is better than mine?

I don't think that type of language is necessary.

You are free to make whatever statement you want, and I am free to ask questions about why you make such a statement.

I didn't state any opinion on what oil is better. If I were to say something, I might say:

There have been good UOA Results from Pennzoil, but concerns about oxidation:
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...nce/5817-oil-analysis-lab-test-results-8.html

Rotella is also performing very well. GDE has stated that he has run Rotella T in his test truck with very good, UOAs.
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...nce/5817-oil-analysis-lab-test-results-6.html

All UOAs were dramatically improved once tuned.

I've stated that Pennzoil has shown itself to be a good oil in the majority of cases, with a caveat. I have also stated that Rotella T is a good option. Both times I have pointed to information. If you have this type of good information to back up your claim that Blue Flame is superior I invite you to post it so that we can all learn.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I wanted to run ESP as I stated before I am a Mobil1 guy but it's just not that readily available and is expensive. Though I guess the same ended up being the case for Champion lol

Moving on...

Going forward will you run ESP 5w30 or Turbo Diesel Truck (Delvac) 5w40 CJ-4?

Thanks for posting that TSB. I'm interested in the "Revised Oil Change Algorithm" and fan recalibration. Hopefully some members will get this "TSB/Recall/Reflash" done and get some feedback.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
If I can get a free oil change and mopar filter out of this tsb i'll probably let them dump t6 into the truck but otherwise i'll continue with champion though depending how the uoa on this one is I may go to the 5w40. I like the convenience of getting two 2.5gal containers in a case and having two oil changes ready. Or one done and one to follow. And I will be going back to an aftermarket oil filter my next change. Currently Using the first mopar filter since factory fill was in.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2825380

Your Euro L VOA

http://championbrands.com/SpecSheet/EO-Blue-Flame 5W-30 HD Motor Oil.pdf

It might be a spec sheet direct from the manufacturer, but the TBN is almost twice as high as the Euro Ultra.

Thumbs up for this.

TBN isn't the only part of oil, though, and more TBN isn't always better.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=531042

Another point we can look at is HTHS - Euro L is 3.68 while Blue Flame is 3.5. Euro L has (marginally) better ability to resist breakdown.

I'm still stuck on the x30 part of this. What is the bigger "part" of this change in recommendation - the additive package in CJ-4 being superior to MS-1106 or the change in weight. If it was just the CJ-4 part why aren't 5w30 CJ-4s mentioned?

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Thumbs up for this.

TBN isn't the only part of oil, though, and more TBN isn't always better.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=531042

Another point we can look at is HTHS - Euro L is 3.68 while Blue Flame is 3.5. Euro L has (marginally) better ability to resist breakdown.

I'm still stuck on the x30 part of this. What is the bigger "part" of this change in recommendation - the additive package in CJ-4 being superior to MS-1106 or the change in weight. If it was just the CJ-4 part why aren't 5w30 CJ-4s mentioned?

I might have answered my own question here. Since we have a relationship with Kendall through the GT-1 product, I've been looking at their SHP product as a replacement. CJ-4, full synthetic 5w40.

TBN - 9.3
HTHS - 4.2

Big jump in HTHS, but, big jump in Ash content too - 1%. Euro L is .6%. (you can either say it is a minor increase, not a big deal, or a 65% increase, which sounds more extreme)

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I know TBN isn't the only part of oil, but there isn't a ton of information out on the 5w-30 Diesel engine oils, they're going to become more common place with the new PC-11 engine oils coming out at year end 2016.. Does anyone know what brand the dealer is switching to? If they switch to rotella it's taking money out of one Shell pocket and putting it in another.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah dealer part is bringing up shell t6 because they already stock it. That was when I had parts pull a quart to verify it was not euro. 9.25/qt up here in no man's land. Lmao

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I know TBN isn't the only part of oil, but there isn't a ton of information out on the 5w-30 Diesel engine oils, they're going to become more common place with the new PC-11 engine oils coming out at year end 2016.. Does anyone know what brand the dealer is switching to? If they switch to rotella it's taking money out of one Shell pocket and putting it in another.

It looks like Shell, since Rotella brand is in the documentation...

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I had sent an inquiry off to blackstone about the Blue Flame oil and I got a little bit of information to share here from a UOA.

Hope this helps. @cevans @bobcat67

Screenshot_20160722-121218.jpg

Andy

Mar 18, 2016
Truck Year
Alright guys that's enough. I honestly haven't found any UOI's, TBN's or even a VOI on the champion oil, but I've never run Pennzoil in my life with the exception of whatever concoctions the factory fill is. It's just not my choice. Always preferred Mobil1 in all vehicles. Regardless I tried the Champion brand and driving and economy performance is perfectly fine in my opinion and I am happy with it.

For curiosities sake I do plan to send to blackstone for all of the above when I change this oil. That way it can truly be compared against everyone's favored Pennzoil or secondly Kendall.

Amazon.com- Mobil1 ESP Formula 5w30 12 bottles for $109 delivered to your door for free. That's what I've been doing in the last two years.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
As long as you're not running a mopar filter then that isn't a terrible oil change

Hawkeye

Jul 21, 2016
Truck Year
Nice discussion on oils. One thing everyone needs to remember. When you see Pennzoil, it is actually just Shell.

Second thing, it is futile to compare TBN from say Blackstone (which focuses on used oil) and a TBN in a product data sheet from an oil blender. The TBN isn't tested the same way.

I think I'll be using Chevron DELO LE synthetic 5W40 or Delvac 1 ESP 5W40.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Nice discussion on oils. One thing everyone needs to remember. When you see Pennzoil, it is actually just Shell.

Second thing, it is futile to compare TBN from say Blackstone (which focuses on used oil) and a TBN in a product data sheet from an oil blender. The TBN isn't tested the same way.

Yes that's why I went to Blackstone for a Used oil analysis from the champion oils

Hawkeye

Jul 21, 2016
Truck Year

I'm talking about virgin TBN here.

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
Just talked to my dealer on this and was told the changes to 5/40 must be a rumor as he hasn't seen anything. I gave him the RRT # and asked him to let me know when they get updated so I can get my free oil change they gave me when I bought the vehicle.

2016 Limited

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Just talked to my dealer on this and was told the changes to 5/40 must be a rumor as he hasn't seen anything. I gave him the RRT # and asked him to let me know when they get updated so I can get my free oil change they gave me when I bought the vehicle.

2016 Limited

Totally clueless dealerships strike again. I'm not trying to be fresh here, but, I really don't understand why people call their dealership for information? I work with dealerships all day, and none of them are tracking this type of up-to-the-minute changes. If they bothered to log into their repair system they would have seen the revised specifications. They couldn't be bothered, so you got old information.

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
My feelings also, talked to Ram customer service and was told to follow the recommendation in my owners manual, as that was all the info they have, any other questions talk with my dealer. Am glad I do my own oil changes.