• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Information

Danno1976

Jun 20, 2020
Truck Year
So I have a 2015 longhorn ecodiesel and just had to do first oil change. Dealership put in pennzoil, this is ok correct? I know I've read where something was changed and now they want shell rotella oil. Should I have it changed or is it gonna be ok? Thanks in advance

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
As long as it’s the correct weight and has the correct additives I would not be too concerned but being a dealer I would think that they would put back engine specified oil

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
So I have a 2015 longhorn ecodiesel and just had to do first oil change. Dealership put in pennzoil, this is ok correct? I know I've read where something was changed and now they want shell rotella oil. Should I have it changed or is it gonna be ok? Thanks in advance
I just looked up the Pennzoil Euro Full synthetic, it is now available in the required 5w-40 for both the ecodiesel and the Cummins. However of the multiple specifications listed by RAM the oil only meets one the ACEA A3/B4. I am not sure if one is enough, the verbiage from RAM is "meet Material Standard MS-10902 and the API-CJ4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil requirement..." The original oil was specifically the Pennzoil Euro 5w-30, changed to 5w-40 and at the time Shell Rotella T6 was the only product meeting the requirement in large scale distribution, I am fairly certain that there are several brands on the market now that fulfill the specification. The one difference of the Pennzoil product is that it is formulated from Natural Gas not from Crude Oil distillate. I would caution against a product that states it is for gasoline and diesel engines as the diesel engine need to suspend more ash content in the oil over a gasoline engine is drastic, as well as the additives in light duty diesel oil is deadly to automotive catalytic converters.

ToeTruck

Mar 5, 2021
Truck Year
I have a 2017 and my book states Rotella 5w40 or similar. I think the specs changed in 2016-2017 from 5/30 to 5/40

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
Last time I heard The T6 5-40 was the approved/recommended engine specific oil for the eco. Like T126 said though and with all the problems you hear about, Why would a dealer of all people or private owner especially vary from the specific oil recommended? I could be wrong. I got T6 at advanced auto for $21 a gallon last oil change so ?

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Specs were changed in 2016 to 4w40 meeting the MOPAR specs, that's key info , if you're doing your own service work. I keep a running spreadsheet of oil used, the filters etc. Make sure you keep receipts. also. You can also track them on the Mopar site.

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
Specs were changed again for the 2020/2021 Gen.3 Eco Diesel. They now want a 5W-40 synthetic MS 12991. Mopar Brand is the only one mentioned in the Manual. Rotella T6 does not show the MS 12991 on the Container. There are not many Oils available which meet the MS 12991 Specs, at least not where I live.

GBRAM2021

Apr 17, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
Posting just for reference for our members.

Needed:
1 1/16th Socket | 27mm in metric.
Drain Plug Size: 13mm
Mopar 6822 9402AA, Engine Oil Filter
Pennzoil 550023013-6PK Ultra Euro L 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
--or--
Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Synthetic Motor Oil

10.5 QUART OIL CAPACITY

***UPDATE***
New Requirement as of July 2016
You can now use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

See this thread for more info:
http://www.ecodieselram.com/forum/t...tion-requirement-for-ram-1500-ecodiesels.820/

View attachment 184 View attachment 185 View attachment 186

Fuel Filter Part #:

Does anyone know if these are the same part numbers for a 2021 EcoDiesel?It takes 5w-40 now.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
is it difficult to remove the oil filter? I have heardit is easy to damage case the filter sits in when removing it.
The Eco is the easiest oil & filter change of any engine I've owned. The filter removal contributing 90% of easy. I don't see how you could damage anything removing the filter as you simply lift it up and out of the case. Loosen the cap to let it drain and you won't spill a drop.
Be sure to let the engine oil drain for at least 20-30 minutes as it is very slow draining.

GBRAM2021

Apr 17, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
The Eco is the easiest oil & filter change of any engine I've owned. The filter removal contributing 90% of easy. I don't see how you could damage anything removing the filter as you simply lift it up and out of the case. Loosen the cap to let it drain and you won't spill a drop.
Be sure to let the engine oil drain for at least 20-30 minutes as it is very slow draining.
Thank you sir. Yeah I was wondering how it would break but wanted to ask. I figured it wouldn’t.

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
The old Filters, Oil and Fuel, do not fit the New Gen3 Engine. I just received my new 2021 Ram Eco Diesel Bighorn and the Part No. are different for the new Engine.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The old Filters, Oil and Fuel, do not fit the New Gen3 Engine. I just received my new 2021 Ram Eco Diesel Bighorn and the Part No. are different for the new Engine.
Thx - that's good to know. Basically the same engine and fuel system. I wonder why? Just a design change
or ???

GBRAM2021

Apr 17, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
Good to know! Thank you

scoffman

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
Does anyone use the Rotella T6 5W40 2.5 gallon bottle and one quart of the Lucas synthetic Oil Stabilizer? I've always just put the Rotella T6 in the "White Lady", but I'm wondering if the Lucas oil stabilizer would be beneficial? I know Shawn mentioned way back in the day that he used Rotella T6 and one quart of Lucas full synthetic, but I'm not sure if he meant a quart of the Lucas oil, or the oil stabilizer?

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
Why would you even think of doing that? Rotella T6 is a very good Oil in my Opinion. It is designed for a certain Purpose.
Adding anything to it changes the Structure of the Oil and might make the Oil perform worse then what it was engineered to do.
But then, that's only my Opinion.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Why would you even think of doing that? Rotella T6 is a very good Oil in my Opinion. It is designed for a certain Purpose.
Adding anything to it changes the Structure of the Oil and might make the Oil perform worse then what it was engineered to do.
But then, that's only my Opinion.
OMG
Adding a quality additive to engine oil does not "make the Oil perform worse then what it was engineered to do." Where did you get that info?

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
As I said, only my Opinion. A lot of Automobile Makers are against Additives. Todays Oils with complex Additive Packages, deal with
Soot Control, Heat Breakdown etc. Add anything to it, you are changing the Structure of the Oil. And why would you. What is the Benefit
of the Additive? We will never really know. Plus the added Cost.
Then again, only MY Opinion.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
As I said, only my Opinion. A lot of Automobile Makers are against Additives. Todays Oils with complex Additive Packages, deal with
Soot Control, Heat Breakdown etc. Add anything to it, you are changing the Structure of the Oil. And why would you. What is the Benefit
of the Additive? We will never really know. Plus the added Cost.
Then again, only MY Opinion.
Exactly - It's just your opinion, but you stated it as a matter of fact (with no facts).
And you just did it again saying, "Add anything to it, you are changing the Structure of the Oil. " Not true - it's called an additive because it adds to the oil, it doesn't change the oil's structure.

If you want to understand the benefits of additives, there's plenty of info if you take the time and effort to research it. Here's an oil additive fact. Engines that use Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector Systems suffer from spool valve stiction. There's oil additives that prevent stiction and also cure it 100%.