• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Information

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I still do not understand the topsider method of oil changes. Even on my old Mercedes Clk where I had to remove the entire splash pan to drain the oil that was still my choice. At least you know what's going on under your engine.

And the ram works great with the ez drain valve

It's easy to understand - faster, cleaner, and easier for the DIY'er. You don't need to put the car on ramps, crawl/creep under it, deal with an oil drain pan that is full of oil and splashing around, deal with a hot drain plug and hot oil coming flying out.

Most dealership and shops that I know use top side method for all the cars they can now. I just got one that I can hook up to my shop air, no pumping even. It took more time to open the 11 1-quart bottles than it did to get the oil and filter out of the car.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I use that style for my jetski.. :D

But yes, it's super clean and I've never just really thought about doing it on an actual vehicle. How much is left in the oil pan I wonder after using the top side method?

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Next to nothing comes out of the oil pan. I've checked this dozens of times - extract oil top side, put the car/truck on the lift and open the drain pan. Nothing comes out (a few drops, maybe an ounce total)

I'd actually wager that you can get more of the old oil out with the extractor method because you can drain the oil filter housing. That will have a half-quart of oil in it that won't drain if you do the bottom side extraction.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
Owners beware and check your manuals mine requires an oil with a euro classification. It says to only use an ACEA C3 SAE 5W-30
Synthetic low ash oil. One example is Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 synthetic.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
Owners beware and check your manuals mine requires an oil with a euro classification. It says to only use an ACEA C3 SAE 5W-30
Synthetic low ash oil. One example is Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 synthetic.
I just checked the specs and some oils in this thread owners say they used do not meet the requirements for the european diesel engines. DON'T RISK YOUR ENGINE WARRENTY THE 3.0 DIESEL IS COSTLY TO REPAIR or REPLACE!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
It's the Chrystler MS spec # you're looking for. There are a few different brands out there now.

Pennzoil, Mobil1, Kendall, Amsoil off the top of my head.

Last edited:

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I don't know that the amsoil actually meets the spec because they tend to write their own qualifications vs subjecting to manufacturer testing.

Champion syngold meets spec.

Everyone here is or damn well should be aware of exactly what oils to run in our trucks and that it's not just anything.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Jdn that's what I was getting at. I tend believe most, if not all, members of these forums are well versed in oil specs.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
I am guilty of not doing enough research as Champion SynGold does in fact have an oil for the European diesel engines. I was only aware of
their oil for gasoline engines. Thanks to the members who helped educate me.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Just to be clear there is no special diesel only oil here. It just is oil that meets manufacturer spec for handling the soot and ash of diesel. Still gasoline compatible.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have been using Mobil Delvac 1 ESP, 5w-40 full synthetic heavy-duty diesel engine oil, rated E7 & E9 in my 2006 Ford F350 6.0 diesel. I intend to also use it in my new 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel as I believe it exceeds the C3 rating specified by Chrysler.

Here is what I have read:

C3 - Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines, with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life. Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines.

E7 Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV and Euro V emission requirements and running under severe conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer's recommendations. It is suitable for engines without particulate filters, and for most EGR engines and most engines fitted with SCR NOx reduction systems.

E9 Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV and Euro V emission requirements and running under severe conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer's recommendations. It is suitable for engines with or without particulate filters, and for most EGR engines and for most engines fitted with SCR NOx reduction systems. E9 is strongly recommended for engines fitted with particulate filters and is designed for use in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel.

Pep Boys puts this oil on sale often for 17.99 a Gallon. Mobil has periodic rebates.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Trust me don't expect to keep your engine warranty if 5w40 touches that truck. If that doesn't effect you then I'm sure it will handle it fine. But pending there is an issue you're strictly out of pocket.

And you can't compare an 06 powerstroke to this engine in any way when it comes to tolerances. They're totally different sides of the diesel spectrum.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
has there been 1 engine warranty voided yet that has used any type of oil? I havnt seen any yet. I did see 1 void for not filling enough oil, and two for emission deletes. But none for not using a mopar filter or non Pennzoil euro oil.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I haven't seen any failures that I know to have used aftermarket Filters other than yours and I don't know of anyone that has had failure that has run non 5-30. Though dealers hung failures pending proof of spec oil 5-30.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
jdn,

1 - I wasn't comparing engines, I was comparing C3 and E7, E9 oils.
2 - I intend to have the dealer do all work while in warranty.
3 - Not sure where you get your warranty facts. My Service Manager said the oil I plan on using would have no effect on
the factory or my Mopar extended warranty.

Cheers! (y)

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Using a different weight oil and mopar warranty just sounds like a nightmare. But to each their own. I guess there's guys out of warranty running t6. Which is a very good oil but not spec.

Shawn what are you running now that your engine has gone through everything that it has? @moparecodiesel

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm still on my original everything on the powertrain,I've never replaced anything. Not even the belts or hoses. Not even anything inside. I use Kendall gt-1 euro or t6

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
I'm still on my original everything on the powertrain,I've never replaced anything. Not even the belts or hoses. Not even anything inside. I use Kendall gt-1 euro or t6

The HotShot business must be slow, looks like Shawn is auditioning for a side gig as a Comedian....:sneaky::):D:LOL::ROFLMAO: