• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Information

Keith B Howard

Mar 6, 2016
Truck Year
View attachment 401

Took this picture of the oil life monitor in a 2006 Cadillac that was towed into my shop with the engine seized due to an engine oil related failure. This is not the first time I have seen this nor the first time I have seen this result of 10 oil changes in 100k miles. Just another FYI kinda thing. Still sticking to 5k oil changes
(y)
Yeah caddy isn't diesel either .... LoL

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
Here is my 2 cents on the oil debate.
Todays Oils are very complicated. If the Manufacturer specifies a certain Oil then there is a reason for it. Some Bearings require a certain
viscosity to ensure there is an Oil film present that never stops. Therefore 5W- 30 means 5W- 30.
I understand the low Ash, low Sulfur etc. is there to protect the somewhat more high Tec Exhaust System.
I would strictly go with what the Manual says.
SLT.

EWP3

Apr 12, 2016
Truck Year
44LF035_AFE.jpg

AFE 44-LF035 PRO-GUARD D2 OIL FILTER
Bought a used 2014 RAM 1500 Limited with 18000 miles, took to the dealer for the 25k oil change, was $215!! so I'm changing it myself from now on.
Bought this from Xtreem Diesel.com (www.xtremediesel.com) for $29.95 - free shipping for orders over $50. so I purchased 3 , and an air filter. Going to stick with the Mobile 1 ESP unless someone tells me different, have used it for 20+ years (gas engines) without incident - I do se Rotela for my other diesel but it's a Cummins ISM in and RV - different altogether.

I prefer to suck the oil out of the sump rather than climb under the vehicle and risk stripping the plug - been doing this for MB gas engines for 15-years now, seems to get all of the debris out of the sump where draining may not - any thoughts on this?

Would like to hear about how the Rotella performs.

Also, does anyone send oil for testing? if so where, and how often, i think this could be a good practice for extended life of these engines if not costly or difficult.

Thanks.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Even on my mb's I still didn't use top sider.. I put the one side on ramps and I just pulled the splash pan and had peace of mind seeing what was going on under the engine as well.

For the ram an ez drain value is a popular option, no plug removal or stripping and it's very clean.

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah caddy isn't diesel either .... LoL
What difference does that make? The point of my post was that oil sampling that the vehicle performs is not very accurate. Diesel oil or not, the ash from the oil as it gets old will leave deposits everywhere in the engine and will restrict oil passages and cause other problems. The additives that are added to the oil to keep it clean, among other things, become less effective over time.

grayghost

Aug 12, 2016
Truck Year
forgot to mention I read somewhere that amsoil will have a formula soon.

The new Tech Bullion released on July 20th. for the 2016 ED specifies Rotella T6 I do not know if this for 2014 & 2015 models. Amsoil also has the equivalent oil to Rotella T6.

upload_2016-8-13_19-2-20.png

Last edited:

Keith B Howard

Mar 6, 2016
Truck Year
What difference does that make? The point of my post was that oil sampling that the vehicle performs is not very accurate. Diesel oil or not, the ash from the oil as it gets old will leave deposits everywhere in the engine and will restrict oil passages and cause other problems. The additives that are added to the oil to keep it clean, among other things, become less effective over time.
Of course, that is common sense... switch to natural gas or propane & all those problems go away & maintenance is normal & alot cleaner... diesel is not as refined as gas it gets minimal refining. Particles in the oil is just sad to say Normal. .. LoL wish there was another filter after turbo to keep soot out & as we know doesn't exist @ this time.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Of course, that is common sense... switch to natural gas or propane & all those problems go away & maintenance is normal & alot cleaner... diesel is not as refined as gas it gets minimal refining. Particles in the oil is just sad to say Normal. .. LoL wish there was another filter after turbo to keep soot out & as we know doesn't exist @ this time.
There's a pretty elaborate filter after the turbo to keep the soot out, out of the atmosphere anyway, not sure what you're getting at here

Rhubarb

Aug 31, 2016
Truck Year
This new released bulletin just makes me laugh and want to bang some engineers head off a wall. A company puts out a spec and holds ppl to it then after a few years change it to what the common folk using their heads used as oil already (wonder if they would reimburse a person who used this oil and their truck had issues and they void the warranty!!???). So much for the magic oil they required hopefully this will be cheaper....I know things change and evolve but why should we believe them now on this oil (yes to keep our warranties)... Hopefully Next it will be the idiotic priced oil filters so we will then save money there (will look in to those mentioned here)....My dealer is $190 Canadian for oil change...I will buy the Rotella or any of the upgraded spec oils take it to my buddies shop in town and do it my self...just need to get proper filter at a good price and put the EZ drain on....if I even keep the truck due to fuel mileage not as expected or even close to sticker advertisement...

Oh and whats up with the reflash for Fan &Transmission Calibration and Oil Change Algorithm.....I wonder if they are bringing the interval down??? Haven't read much on it just quickly.

Michael M

Rhubarb

Aug 31, 2016
Truck Year
What Oil Filters are people using / were are you getting them in Ontario...Even Michigan as I am 20 Min from Detroit / Windsor boarder

Thanks Michael M

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I don't know what kind of economy you're getting, but mine gets a little better than advertised on average, might change a bit this winter though. Sounds like you're dealer is cheap for an oil change really, mine was $209 before the oil update, I wouldn't have ever paid those prices. I have only heard of guys using the mopar filter, I'm sure Wix or someone makes a different one though

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Has anyone heard of Archoil? I have used it the last several years as an additive to my Amsoil oil changes in my gas vehicles.

What do you think about using it in my new Ecodiesel too? The truck is only a few days old and doesn't even have 200 miles on it yet, so I have plenty of time to mull it over.

BTW - My dealer must not have changed the oil per the TSB because there is no sticker on the filler cap, no supplement in the owners manual. I don't trust dealerships to do anything but push the sale.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Has anyone heard of Archoil? I have used it the last several years as an additive to my Amsoil oil changes in my gas vehicles.

What do you think about using it in my new Ecodiesel too? The truck is only a few days old and doesn't even have 200 miles on it yet, so I have plenty of time to mull it over.

BTW - My dealer must not have changed the oil per the TSB because there is no sticker on the filler cap, no supplement in the owners manual. I don't trust dealerships to do anything but push the sale.

I don't have any personal experience with archoil, but you could take your truck back and have them perform the update. I know some areas of the country were having a hard time getting ahold of the replacement oil because of the large demand which may be the reason for it not being done

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year

There is no benefit to adding Archoil to any Amsoil product. Amsoil is perfect just how it is no additives needed.

Amsoil recently updated there online lookup tool. To adhere to the new oil spec it is there premium 5W-40 diesel oil now. Wix is going to release a oil filter for our trucks soon. But its not available yet.

Rhubarb

Aug 31, 2016
Truck Year
Called the dealership today after texting my buddy who is the service manger yesterday ...in text i said i should be getting a free oil change if FCA is changing oil and making us go to 5w40...he ran my vin and said yep you get it ...just have to pay for the filter ($36 employee price at dealer $40 reg)...my truck was built in Feb this year so check with your dealer and see...and i had only 17% life left ....

Michael M

EOC

Aug 9, 2016
Truck Year
Just did my first oil change at 7k. Not sure if it's just my dealer but found out that they will warranty power train if I bring in at or before 6k for oil changes. Unfortunately I used up my one give me at this point, so I have to make sure I make it in on time from now on. Question is, manual states around 15k mileage for oil change doesn't it?
Reason I ask, is there was another 2016 sitting there that a guy brought in the day before had 14 k on it. Brought it for first oil change. His engine had failed, not sure components or anything else other than he cannot drive it at this point. So second question, anyone heard of this issue, can verify, or give advice?
On my side of it the dealership had not received the new oil. They new of it, but had not received it in stock as yet, so I was given the original oil replacement. Should I be concerned?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I'd be concerned that they aren't up to date with things, yes. Wouldn't be concerned with running the original spec'd oil.

Manual states 10k mile oil change intervals. And all trucks should have 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: EOC