• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Information

TX Dave

Feb 2, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
First up front, I do not own a Ram yet, I have an 2001 Duramax and I have always changed my own oil. I'm a bit confused here. I can use Rotella synthetic or regular Rotella, but from what I am reading the ED 3.0 only uses Synthetic. Might sound dumb but why is that? It is a diesel.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
First up front, I do not own a Ram yet, I have an 2001 Duramax and I have always changed my own oil. I'm a bit confused here. I can use Rotella synthetic or regular Rotella, but from what I am reading the ED 3.0 only uses Synthetic. Might sound dumb but why is that? It is a diesel.
It's a low tolerance high efficiency engine with 10,000 mile oil change intervals with a 2.5gal oil capacity, this all comes from the synthetic oil, no Dino oil here. Consider this is a euro engine and high capacities with quality synthetics are the standard practice.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
idparts.com has good prices on MANNs filters. Seem to be just as good of Chinese quality as Mopar...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Confused? MANN is a European filter manufacturer, we use them in our Land Rover, Mercedes, and BMW owners. Also industry statement that MANN is the manufacturer of the rebrand to MOPAR.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Quite true. The euro engines are advanced as diesel is the primary fuel there.
Even in the gasser, had mb and BMW vehicles in the past that were synthetic 10k oil changes, nobody even thinks to run Dino oil

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Confused? MANN is a European filter manufacturer, we use them in our Land Rover, Mercedes, and BMW owners. Also industry statement that MANN is the manufacturer of the rebrand to MOPAR.
Well they're labeled as Made in China, same as the MOPAR boxed filter over the counter at the dealership.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Well they're labeled as Made in China, same as the MOPAR boxed filter over the counter at the dealership.

Wow! I will check our inventory, we have not checked a label in a long time. Company owner had toured the plant in Europe on a trip to England a few years back and we assumed production was still there. WIX has a part number for the oil filter and a special order for the fuel filter, both USA, we will definitely be looking into those offerings. Thanks for the heads up.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Wow! I will check our inventory, we have not checked a label in a long time. Company owner had toured the plant in Europe on a trip to England a few years back and we assumed production was still there. WIX has a part number for the oil filter and a special order for the fuel filter, both USA, we will definitely be looking into those offerings. Thanks for the heads up.
Good deal. Let us know what you find out.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Good deal. Let us know what you find out.

Well guy's all the filters we have in stock are made in Germany. However the MANN-HUMMEL GMBH website does state that all MANN filters are made in plants worldwide, so our filters (include MOPAR rebrand) could very well be produced in a China facility. Just the luck of the draw I guess. Our MANN filters come with all necessary "O" rings and oil drain plug crush seals for each filter application and we have had no issues with them.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks for the update. For the record, I have no issue with the quality of the MANN filter, no matter where it's been produced. And carry on with the good service @ idparts. You're the first place I look for maintenance parts on the truck.

Dan Walker

Jul 5, 2016
Truck Year
In light of the recent oil change requirments for my 2016 ECODiesel, some say there needs to be a software update, some say no. I also called two dealers. One said yes and one said no. So I'm confused..... I will put the new Rotella at my next oil change, but should I or should I not get the software update ?

Dan

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Rotella is not the requirement, synthetic 5w-40 Diesel engine oil is, there is so many better alternatives than Rotella.... just my 2 cents.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The only change is cold viscosity, 40 opposed to 30. That's not really going to effect anything. The computer flash update is to keep engine rpms closer to 2k opposed to being able to drop into 8th at 55-60 and see 1400rpms where there can be some excessive load and engine lugging with a "less than desirable" oil flow.

So go ahead and run 5w40 if you like it's just thicker until the engine warms up. Will effect Canadians more than Southerners.

If you want higher rpms, your engine to Rev like you have 3.92 gears instead of 3.55's and only see 8th gear at 75+ then go ahead and get the 2016 dealer flash, or when and if it becomes available for the '14&'15 model years

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The only change is cold viscosity, 40 opposed to 30. That's not really going to effect anything. The computer flash update is to keep engine rpms closer to 2k opposed to being able to drop into 8th at 55-60 and see 1400rpms where there can be some excessive load and engine lugging with a "less than desirable" oil flow.

So go ahead and run 5w40 if you like it's just thicker until the engine warms up. Will effect Canadians more than Southerners.

If you want higher rpms, your engine to Rev like you have 3.92 gears instead of 3.55's and only see 8th gear at 75+ then go ahead and get the 2016 dealer flash, or when and if it becomes available for the '14&'15 model years

You might want to do more research the number to the right of the W is hot weight left is cold weight. So 5W-30 and 5W-40 have the same cold flow properties just one is a little thicker at operating temps.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
You might want to do more research the number to the right of the W is hot weight left is cold weight. So 5W-30 and 5W-40 have the same cold flow properties just one is a little thicker at operating temps.
Exactly. So that's what doesn't make sense to me. FCA switched to a "thicker" oil @ temps when it seems there's been bearings fried. I'd think thinner, the better for getting through tight passages?

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Well guy's all the filters we have in stock are made in Germany. However the MANN-HUMMEL GMBH website does state that all MANN filters are made in plants worldwide, so our filters (include MOPAR rebrand) could very well be produced in a China facility. Just the luck of the draw I guess. Our MANN filters come with all necessary "O" rings and oil drain plug crush seals for each filter application and we have had no issues with them.

Both MANN-HUMMEL and OE Mopar fuel filters are contract manufactured by UFI Filter at one of their factories in China. UFI, based in Italy, designed the entire filtration system for VM, including the (unreliable) oil cooler. They also designed the fuel filter canister for Fiat/Chrysler.

SpeedReeser516

Oct 23, 2016
Truck Year
I see some talk about topside oil changes. I use to do this on my TDI through the dipstick tube, is that how it's been done on this truck?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I see some talk about topside oil changes. I use to do this on my TDI through the dipstick tube, is that how it's been done on this truck?
Correct, it will always be from the dipstick

SpeedReeser516

Oct 23, 2016
Truck Year
I do top side. Be aware, though, that you'll need at least a 4-foot tube for the RAM to get to the bottom of the oil pan. Most extractors include 3-foot tubes, those won't reach all the way.

Thanks, I'll have to measure my tube to be sure.