• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Information

EOC

Aug 9, 2016
Truck Year
I'd be concerned that they aren't up to date with things, yes. Wouldn't be concerned with running the original spec'd oil.

Manual states 10k mile oil change intervals. And all trucks should have 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
That's my thoughts as well, but wanders why the dealership is telling him they won't cover it due to late oil change? When manual states different, and coverage is there. Reminder,nth is is me overhearing the techs and customer service rep, talking in the bay about the truck so don't know what else went on.
Has anyone else's dealerships had issue getting the new oil? Like Brady said worried why it is taking a while for them to stock, when they obviously know it needs to be changed over for some unforeseen reason....

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Just did my first oil change at 7k. Not sure if it's just my dealer but found out that they will warranty power train if I bring in at or before 6k for oil changes. Unfortunately I used up my one give me at this point, so I have to make sure I make it in on time from now on. Question is, manual states around 15k mileage for oil change doesn't it?
Reason I ask, is there was another 2016 sitting there that a guy brought in the day before had 14 k on it. Brought it for first oil change. His engine had failed, not sure components or anything else other than he cannot drive it at this point. So second question, anyone heard of this issue, can verify, or give advice?
On my side of it the dealership had not received the new oil. They new of it, but had not received it in stock as yet, so I was given the original oil replacement. Should I be concerned?
Isn't the new spec just plain old 5W40 Rotella. You can get that anywhere, how could they not have access to it?

EOC

Aug 9, 2016
Truck Year
Isn't the new spec just plain old 5W40 Rotella. You can get that anywhere, how could they not have access to it?
Don't know but they said it hadn't been received in stock yet. I imagine they can't go out and fill a purchase order from local parts stores if that is so. Said that by the time I have it in for next change of oil they would have it.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I would guess it isn't the oil holding up the show, it's probably the flash update they need to do. Not sure what that is or how it's done or whats needed to do it.

EOC

Aug 9, 2016
Truck Year
Ok so John over on the other board in this forum, 5w40. Posted the actual service bulliten, but I can't get the link to copy. It lists the new oil, as well as new sticker for oil cap and so on. So you may be right about them not having all the parts.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Jeff, maybe you could update the first post to include that the drain plug is 13mm. I always forget. This thread, first post, is a great quick view of what's needed to change the oil.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Jeff, maybe you could update the first post to include that the drain plug is 13mm. I always forget. This thread, first post, is a great quick view of what's needed to change the oil.

Great info. Doing that now!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
LOL while you're at it, you could also add 10.5 quart oil capacity.

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
I'd be concerned that they aren't up to date with things, yes. Wouldn't be concerned with running the original spec'd oil.

Manual states 10k mile oil change intervals. And all trucks should have 100k mile powertrain warranty.

They changed to a 60k powertrain warranty starting for the 2016 MY trucks, FYI....

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
What's the concensus on the best oil filter for the money? Is is the OEM Mopar or the AFE or what? TIA

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
idparts.com has good prices on MANNs filters. Seem to be just as good of Chinese quality as Mopar...

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
They changed to a 60k powertrain warranty starting for the 2016 MY trucks, FYI....
Really? Dam FCA that's a bold move considering the Titan XD is 100k bumper to bumper and I'm sure Ford's diesel will have a similar, 100k mile warranty.

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
Really? Dam FCA that's a bold move considering the Titan XD is 100k bumper to bumper and I'm sure Ford's diesel will have a similar, 100k mile warranty.

I bought a new 2015 in late 2016 for this reason

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
idparts.com has good prices on MANNs filters. Seem to be just as good of Chinese quality as Mopar...

it hasn't been the easiest to figure out who makes the factory filter, but I do believe they are made by MANN, they make a lot of OEM stuff for European engine manufacturers

Radio_Flyer

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
I changed yesterday, Rotella T6 5w40 and aFe filter. Got four of them on a group buy awhile ago. Looked identical, same number of pleats and clicked right in. Oil pressure is great and no issues so far. Also added a Fumoto valve.