• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Information

SpeedReeser516

Oct 23, 2016
Truck Year
We bought ours in Oct of last year, I am assuming it has had the flash updates done at the dealer before we purchased since it was late in the year and the 17's were already out. I do wonder though cause ours has less than 7k on it and the indicator is saying change the oil. I saw a post that said if the flash wasn't done then the indicator wouldn't work properly. Not sure if that is true either though. Really low mileage to have owned it over a year since we didn't get a turn in date for our VW until 7 mo's later.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
We bought ours in Oct of last year, I am assuming it has had the flash updates done at the dealer before we purchased since it was late in the year and the 17's were already out. I do wonder though cause ours has less than 7k on it and the indicator is saying change the oil. I saw a post that said if the flash wasn't done then the indicator wouldn't work properly. Not sure if that is true either though. Really low mileage to have owned it over a year since we didn't get a turn in date for our VW until 7 mo's later.

You can take it to the dealer and they can pull the VIN and confirm if it's been done or not.

SpeedReeser516

Oct 23, 2016
Truck Year
You can take it to the dealer and they can pull the VIN and confirm if it's been done or not.
Thanks, was hoping there was another way to find out. Hate going to the dealer for anything, sometimes though you have to do things you don't like doing. :)

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
You don’t really want the update if you want really good fuel economy. It doesn’t really do anything beneficial that I can personally see. My mileage went down, but I also installed heavier 10 ply tires and switched over to winter diesel around the same time it was done.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
You don’t really want the update if you want really good fuel economy. It doesn’t really do anything beneficial that I can personally see. My mileage went down, but I also installed heavier 10 ply tires and switched over to winter diesel around the same time it was done.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I'm on my 2nd tank of winter blend as far as I can tell. Hate it. Between that and warm up times, my mileage drops 2.5-3 mpg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm on my 2nd tank of winter blend as far as I can tell. Hate it. Between that and warm up times, my mileage drops 2.5-3 mpg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

100%!! Not noticed anything crazy yet. I expect it in a few weeks though.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Yeah, I know where I live and work they have different stages for the blend strength, as it’s supposed to get colder the percentage of #1 diesel goes up considerably. However I have noticed some stations are now just blending in additives and the fuel is only good to -9. Have to be careful with those stations fuel, especially when it gets down to -30/40 for any extended period of time.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

SpeedReeser516

Oct 23, 2016
Truck Year
After changing the oil today I'd say we got the updates. There is a 5w40 sticker and I had to use an impact to get my drain plug out from where some dumb*ss at the dealer I'm assuming used one to put it back in. I still have a case+ of good Mobil 5w30 from the VW that I was going to use on the truck. Anybody need some good 5w30? :)

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
After changing the oil today I'd say we got the updates. There is a 5w40 sticker and I had to use an impact to get my drain plug out from where some dumb*ss at the dealer I'm assuming used one to put it back in. I still have a case+ of good Mobil 5w30 from the VW that I was going to use on the truck. Anybody need some good 5w30? :)
If it weren't for the fortune of shipping I have no problem running 5w30! Usps large flat rate box maybe?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah shipping would probably make it expensive. Probably won't hurt the civic, I'll probably just use it in there.
Honestly it won't hurt the truck either; even with the update. Fca outright said to me on the phone that I could run out my 5w30 oil change without any harm. And no flash is going to Make a certain oil weight all of a sudden insufficient. Assuming by this point you get where I'm going.

Also your civic is probably 5w20 if not a zero weight oil

SpeedReeser516

Oct 23, 2016
Truck Year
Honestly it won't hurt the truck either; even with the update. Fca outright said to me on the phone that I could run out my 5w30 oil change without any harm. And no flash is going to Make a certain oil weight all of a sudden insufficient. Assuming by this point you get where I'm going.

Also your civic is probably 5w20 if not a zero weight oil

Yeah I was kind of thinking along the same lines, especially here in CO once is stars getting really cold. Even if something happened and they wanted proof about the oil I have the receipts for the Rotella T6 from wally world. On top of that I'm not towing more than a couple dirt bikes, or doing anything that would cause stress on the engine of the truck other than my wife drives it around town mostly. Basically used to haul kids around and get groceries, is nice to have though when I do need a truck for something if can convince her to let me use. Of course I pay for it, but it's her truck. :)

The civic is a '93 with 248K on it, not sure what oil it is supposed to have, but I run whatever is on sale or the cheapest off brand oil I can find and change it every 5k. It's a good vehicle back and forth to work and A to B around town, for all I know though it could die tomorrow.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Can get luberfiner oil filters for $9.13 and they’re identical to factory mopar except color of the big gasket. Specs out the same as far as micron rating and material according to what I can find.

JharpJ

Aug 15, 2015
Truck Year

What is a "flash update?"