• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reported problems on the EcoDiesel

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
So bringing the truck out of town to the body shop this morning I get blessed with a check engine light on top of everything.

Just turned 20k

And of course truck is going to the body shop for 2-3 weeks so I took most personal items out including my scanner and I left it at home instead of just putting it into the other car which is following me.

So I guess a pit stop at the dealership is now in order

Not a good way to start the year for you. Hope everything turns out ok...

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Dealer couldn't get it in, even though I called ahead. 20 some odd codes mostly from the deer hit but we'll see. They'll take it in after the body work is all done I guess. 2 weeks or so

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Now this is a thread I like! 4000 trouble free miles! (Of course with a $44000 truck I should hope to go a lot further before I start bragging.)

renewal101

Jan 3, 2016
Truck Year
13,011 perfect and delightful miles before sudden oil cooler failure. Chrysler replaced all parts that are touched with coolant including engine. ($20,000 plus repair). Working now to get residual oil out of cooling system by flushing. I understand that this failure occurs in less that 5 % of the ecodiesels. If we can get it fixed and rebuild our confidence in it, we would gladly stay with the ecodiesel. We love the truck and think it's a perfect conceptual design and use it as the family car. We ordered it with all the luxury options.....a delightful truck. And we have wonderful dealer service department in Stephen Wade Chrysler RAM in St. George, Ut.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Renewal101, how have you come up with <5% oil cooler failures? Is that based on actual statistics or just a number you're comfortable with?

I would absolutely love to see hard numbers released on oil cooler and engine failures of this truck.....

renewal101

Jan 3, 2016
Truck Year
Renewal101, how have you come up with <5% oil cooler failures? Is that based on actual statistics or just a number you're comfortable with?

I would absolutely love to see hard numbers released on oil cooler and engine failures of this truck.....

Brady...that 5% is pure hearsay.....number came from another forum and from a person who was trying to say that there were very few oil cooler failures. From what I read on the forums, I get the feeling that the number is higher than that. Yesterday....I asked Chrysler Customer Service if they could give me the number of oil cooler failures and also the number of ecodiesels sold. They told me they had no access to those numbers and didn't know who would have them. It just seems that Chrysler isn't being very open about this.

renewal101

Jan 3, 2016
Truck Year

Brady.....that number is pure hearsay and from another forum where they were saying that there is very few oil coolers failures. From what I read on the forums, there seems a lot more failures than that. Just yesterday, I asked Chrysler Customer service for the number of oil cooler failures and also the number of ecodiesels sold so far. She told me that she had no access to those numbers and didn't know who would have them. I feel that Chrysler is being very hush, hush about this. I too would really like to know the true numbers.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Any link to the 5% ? I thought I saw something like point one percent on another forum.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Any link to the 5% ? I thought I saw something like point one percent on another forum.

I don't think we will ever know the numbers, only FCA does.

renewal101

Jan 3, 2016
Truck Year
Rollingsmokediesel.com is testing and about to put a remote air cooled oil cooler to market with a block off plate like many of the others we have seen....the biggest thing is hopefully they use a proper oil filter head that you can get a very good quality filter for.

Do you think the use of this aftermarket oil cooler void the factory warranty?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yes it will

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You will rely solely on the aftermarket part manufacturers warranty (which will not cover nearly the cost of repairs on the ecodiesel) in case anything happens

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
The warranty laws have changed a great deal in terms of aftermarket parts the manufacture would have to prove.to some extent that the aftermarket cooler caused said failure in order for them not to cover it.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
But an oil cooler? FCA is going to have a hay day blaming a mechanical or engine failure on anything except that or tied to that

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
I would think it depends on the failure.....if you are able to run an oem filter with the setup you are doing everything filtration wise you should be and unless they can pinpoint it to on oil temp issue or something like that I don't see them getting much else to stick.

renewal101

Jan 3, 2016
Truck Year
This oil cooler problem has me in a knot. Chrysler is offering me a MSRP exchange and I'm struggling with what to do. This exchange offer came as a total surprise. We love our ED......this truck is perfect for us, except for reliability and mostly related to the oil cooler issues. I can't get anyone from Chrysler to give me a definitive response as to what is being done to correct the oil cooler issues and from the post of other members, Chrysler has not resolved this yet. No recalls, service bulletins or new design oil coolers. Are they really still using the same original oil coolers in new trucks? So I'm hesitant to stay with the ED and thinking of going to the 2500 Cummins....which, we don't like nearly as well, but still a great truck. Would love to hear what some of your thoughts are on this. I just don't understand Chrysler not aggressively correcting this problem? Does anyone know of any activity on this oil cooler issue from Chrysler? Since we love the ED so much, I thought maybe getting a new 2016 ED and using the aftermarket oil cooler might be a solution....but, the warranty issues are troubling.

As background, my ED (build date of Jan '15) scrambled at 13,301 miles with all contact coolant parts replaced including new engine. But they are still struggling to get the oil residue out of the coolant circuit. Since the repair (41 days in the shop), we have a 70 MPH vibration and heavy cab exhaust smell. For a truck that we love so much.....very disappointing.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Renewal, I have an oil cooler setup that leaves the factory oil filter housing in tact, and in place, and keeps the oem coolant lines running the same way, so the factory appearance is still there and oil filter is still oem and functional.
The first thing i would do if i was you is purchase the 6.0l sinister diesel coolant filter kit for the ford powerstroke, install it to filter out the oil. Do not follow my videos or pictures where i tapped into my cooler lines, mine is wrong, ive learned alot about mine, and the sinister filter has everything you need, you can contact me directly for help.
I am currently testing a couple new products so if everything works out, some cool things are coming :) and no computer tuning is necessary

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Just as many people experience the failure; many do not. I do not have an answer why. It should be an isolated issue and either across the board or none at all. The ratio of good to bad; no one except maybe fca seems to know. Obviously not enough. I've got 20k with no issues at all; build was in April of 15. (Ordered 3/23/15 delivered 5/3/15).

Take the msrp offer and trade for another eco. At least you know (with the exception of inconvenience not having the vehicle through the process) that FCA will honor and fix/replace your vehicle as many have even if it does take a lot of push.

That's not a new engine or a new coolant system on your truck with the previous tire wear interior wear and anything else you can think of not to mention depreciation and miles on it; that's a brand new nearly no mile vehicle that you get to start over with