• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Settlement Warranty

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
TC Diesel wrote: (paraphrased) "EGR (is) defective in every 3.0 in America, and when the AEM is loaded the EGR will become more defective"

Hey TC, can you explain what you mean?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OK.. IMO It will create More soot, and Mileage will be effected, Many 2017-18 Owners that use the truck for DD use are having problems early on, How do I knows this Because 17-18 Owners have come here after 36K miles after dealer cannot promise the repair will be covered under the 100K miles or the current emissions warranty, All have claimed 1-3GPM less than 14-16 Owners.

I don't do service work anymore, I do more manufacturing of Fuel and engine parts, etc. I do a lot of software updates and diagnostics , I see by the Data what's going on. I also have shops around N/A that called for service help, I probably have more Resources than any Private company in N/A. I have deep connections into FCA.. 100s of ED Owners have called and Talked to Me over the Years.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
OK.. IMO It will create More soot, and Mileage will be effected, Many 2017-18 Owners that use the truck for DD use are having problems early on, How do I knows this Because 17-18 Owners have come here after 36K miles after dealer cannot promise the repair will be covered under the 100K miles or the current emissions warranty, All have claimed 1-3GPM less than 14-16 Owners.

I don't do service work anymore, I do more manufacturing of Fuel and engine parts, etc. I do a lot of software updates and diagnostics , I see by the Data what's going on. I also have shops around N/A that called for service help, I probably have more Resources than any Private company in N/A. I have deep connections into FCA.. 100s of ED Owners have called and Talked to Me over the Years.
thanks! I am looking forward to the 2019 / 2020 eco to see what parts change. I am hoping for improved main bearings, rods and maybe better software. I will be very interested in seeing someone like yourself do an engine tear down and see what's in there. Maybe some of those parts may make it into my 2015.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It will be years before We get into one 2020+....FCA now keeps the lid on Failures, the one's siting around and NOT covered By FCA are either in ligations or the Owner cannot afford to replace at this time.

treadwellwayne

Apr 10, 2019
Truck Year
I recently purchased a 2015 Ram 1500 eco diesel with 53000 miles. Did I make a bad mistake? My overall mileage is 25 miles to the gallon. Sounds like this engine is having numerous significant problems.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Hey Treadwellwayne,

I have the 2015 and i have never had a problem. The reason why (i believe) is I am using the aftermarket tune from Green Diesel Engineeering. It turns off the EGR valve which dumps tons of soot in your oil. It also handles regeneration better which keeps diesel fuel from getting in your oil and thinning it. I highly recommend you tune your engine to keep it running well.

The second factor is how you drive it. If you highway drive you will have a better ownership experience. This is true of all emissions controlled diesels. Cities and utilities are blowing up F-250's & 2500s because the DPF is full and oil is saturated with fuel because of short trips and extended idling times. The way old diesels were used is not going to work for these new engines. Sadly, salesman don't know and dealerships don't bother to train them to ensure the wrong customers don't buy a diesel.

Finally, use a good quality synthetic oil that meets API CJ-4 (Rotella T6, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel truck, or Valvoline Premium Blue Diesel) 5w-40 and you should be all good.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Tread, IMO Yes, that being said its Hero-Zero status, The EGR plenum/EGR on daily used 3.0s is goona fail , I foamed and cleaned My Plenum every 10K miles, The EGR stated to leak Both internally/externally and the plenum swirl Vales started to stick and needed replacing at 43K+- miles.

Yes the ED gets great mileage IMO the AEM is goona lower that 1-3GPM and increase intake problems.

IMO ,FCA will need to get the QC under control at Cento and make big changes to the VM3.0 for it to survive.

IMO this engine is under develop and over engineered , You need to separate the Trans from motor to fix the tone ring for the Crank Sensor^&*^ C'mon. What about the failed coolant lines that require Cab removal to replace or Tear the upper part of the motor down to get to. Turbo problems, Fires. CEL, Glow plugs, puked motors, etc.

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep... if this engine has any chance of survival it needs to be castrate form the butt to intake , how long would you survive if you had a hose from butt to mouth?. the EGR/SCR is horribly inadequate on the 3.0.

And if the EPA claims that the EGR is required to meet COC, than turn around and claim its not a major component and is limited to 24K/2year emissions warranty, *(&^ , its no different than a muffler IMO and not needed.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Hey everyone. Latest update: Got my RAM ED back Monday night this week. Total cost for the EGR Cooler replacement was $2735 and some change. Dealership handed me my keys with the work order, and had a note-pad stapled to it with the URL for the settlement site (I'd already registered) and a 1-800 number for FCA to call scribbled on it and sent me on my way. I called FCA today, and explained the scenario to them. Got a case number within about ten minutes and a request that I scan and email the Repair document to them. Case Manager was going to lobby first for a direct reimbursement to K&M Wayland CDJR, and if he couldn't push that through, send me a reimbursement check after I provide proof I paid the bill. First and only time I've dealt with them, the individual I worked with (Cameron) was polite, professional and very to the point. Never quibbled about my desire for FCA to cover this costly repair. Now we'll wait and see where it goes from here. Crossing my fingers; next question is what/when another shoe is going to drop? TC - do you recommend I get this 'Green Diesel' tune or comparable aftermarket improvement/bypass? I've seen the successful Bulletproof Diesel version of this topic on Ford 6.0 L Powerstroke engines; is that comparable?

Last edited:

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
my son has a 2006 F350 with the 6.0. He did the EGR delete and put in an oversize radiator and it is all good. They are great engines when you get the EGR cooler and EGR off of them.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
my son has a 2006 F350 with the 6.0. He did the EGR delete and put in an oversize radiator and it is all good. They are great engines when you get the EGR cooler and EGR off of them.
Thanks. A good friend of mine has that same engine in his F350 as well. I'm just wondering (and have to believe it's not a bad thing) if there is something similar I can/should do with my RAM EcoDiesel at some point. I'm not excited about potentially putting $$$ into the engine on and off for years. I keep my vehicles a long time (my wife and I drove her 1999 Plymouth Voyager minivan - purchased brand-new - for 13 years and 249,000 miles with nothing major) and was hoping this RAM would be one of those long-term ownership vehicles. (My previous truck was a - purchased new - 2000 Quad Cab with a 360 'Magnum' V8, and I drove that until 2016, when I bought this gently-used EcoDiesel from the 78-year old
owner of the little dealership here in Wayland.)

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I think so, Mando. Just like in the 6.0, the EGR is the devil in the Eco. Fortunately we can tune the EGR off using software like a GDE tune. I think with the EGR off that it stays cooler and then the EGR cooler does not heat cycle as much and then break.

I am at about 77k and have never had a problem with this truck, running the GDE tune since about 5k. So, if you don't have it, i recommend it to you. California people say they pass emissions so it seems all good.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
I think so, Mando. Just like in the 6.0, the EGR is the devil in the Eco. Fortunately we can tune the EGR off using software like a GDE tune. I think with the EGR off that it stays cooler and then the EGR cooler does not heat cycle as much and then break.

I am at about 77k and have never had a problem with this truck, running the GDE tune since about 5k. So, if you don't have it, i recommend it to you. California people say they pass emissions so it seems all good.
Thanks CS! Much appreciated.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Latest update on the EGR Cooler Failure: I got a case number and 'Case Manager' from FCA to work with me. As of mid-week last week, the dealership was squawking about me needing to pay the bill for the repairs ($2738.47) - which I did. Same afternoon, I got a call from FCA's POC indicating I'd need to pay the dealership (imagine that) and that as of MAY 1, I could open a new case and file for reimbursement. He was adamant that I WOULD get reimbursed - just like anyone who pays any vehicle manufacturer for items later covered under a recall would get reimbursed. (Just have no idea on the timeframe.) My sales rep at K&M Wayland (Wayland, MI) read me some details he'd received relating to the EGR/Emissions troubles; his document didn't specify 'MAY 1' but just 'MAY.' (Which of course could be as late as Friday the 31st...) So Wednesday of this week, I'll be back on the phone with FCA to find out about my reimbursement. I wanted this to be my next 'long-term' truck but am seriously thinking of unloading it. CS in Alabama - in your opinion, will the GDE Tune overcome most of the issues with this powerplant, or should I beg for a buyout and buy a Hemi or some other make/model? Thanks everyone. - Mark

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I think it overcomes all of the issues with the power plant, other than the risk of sudden death from the lower end bearings. I think 7% of all ecos will die this way.

Aside from that, my take on the truck is that if the EGR is electronically put to sleep via the tune you have a great truck. I have 77k miles on mine with the GDE tune put in back at 5k. I have never had a repair of any type, the oil analysis I did was excellent, and my mileage is 25 mpg in mixed driving. I think the other tune companies are also worth looking into. I love the ZF-8 transmission and overall the truck is well made.

Use a good synthetic CJ/K-4 oil and I think you are all good. Do what you can to keep a drive train warranty on it or maybe put aside $100 a month to rebuild the engine one day, once we have good main bearings.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
I think it overcomes all of the issues with the power plant, other than the risk of sudden death from the lower end bearings. I think 7% of all ecos will die this way.

Aside from that, my take on the truck is that if the EGR is electronically put to sleep via the tune you have a great truck. I have 77k miles on mine with the GDE tune put in back at 5k. I have never had a repair of any type, the oil analysis I did was excellent, and my mileage is 25 mpg in mixed driving. I think the other tune companies are also worth looking into. I love the ZF-8 transmission and overall the truck is well made.

Use a good synthetic CJ/K-4 oil and I think you are all good. Do what you can to keep a drive train warranty on it or maybe put aside $100 a month to rebuild the engine one day, once we have good main bearings.
Thanks for the enlightening feedback. Are there outfits here in Michigan who can do that GDE tuning?
My truck (bought used from the owner of the dealership, and which had only 8000 mile on it when I bought it) I've maintained myself; I change the oil every 10K, and the fuel filter at 15K. I've only been using Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic; hopefully no damage was done to the bearings earlier one with the 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic or whatever was originally specified for it.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Like CS said, get a tune to disable the EGR.

In my case, I went with the GDE tune at 4700 miles. My great service manager agreed with the GDE tune because he knows 95% of my trips are under 10 miles r/t and the engine hardly reaches operating temps, the worst thing for a diesel. I only have 15,000 now but I have never had a repair, and my oil analysis is also excellent.

I average 19mpg local and 22-24 highway depending on speed. Go over 70 and it drops to 20-22mpg. My mileage is lower than most because I have made changes that affect mileage. Truck is leveled, running 10 ply tires, added weight of a full grill guard, Leer shell on the bed and always approx 500lbs of stuff.

IMHO the best tune is GDE to improve the performance and longevity. If you go with another tuner be sure their tune shuts off the EGR and does not increase HP over the turbo's ability.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I recommend you change your oil change frequency to 10% left on the oil minder. The computer algorithm knows what it is saying. As for someone to install the GDE tune, you can do it yourself super fast and easy. Just swap out the ECM. If you need to, have a friend help you. Maybe also consider the Sofa king or PPEI tunes. I hear good things.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks John Jensen and CS in Alabama. I have had zero insight into diesels until my foray into them with this truck. I have had - twice - the truck go into limp mode with some 'Throttle Control Module' error, and I was told I need to 'drive it like I stole it' otherwise it would continue to do that. The first time they updated some software; the second time some area they said was full of soot. Guess I'll have to learn about maintaining that too - unless the GDE tune thwarts that soot build up... (I have a 22 mile one-way commute to work, mostly highway and going 65-70 mph; don't know if that is adverse or not.) - Mark