• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

WARNING VOID Engine Warranty

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So to anyone who did or has done as I have well I hope there isn't anyone.

Champion oils, SynGold 5w30 has two different part numbers. They use the same exact bottle and front label but the spec sheet on the back is different. Part number 4431 is traditional 5w30.

Part number 4436 is European low SAPS formula which actually meets ecodiesel specs.

This is a fine print deviation by CHAMPION in even they're own spec sheets for motor oil. But look closely and the part numbers are different.

AutoAnything .com recommends this oil for the ecodiesel. It looks the right oil. Heck it's the same bottle and front label. But it does not sell you the ecodiesel spec low saps oil. It does not meet manufacturer spec.

So if you are as unfortunate as me you now have no engine warranty. And I've ran this in my engine for over 20k miles.

So now that I'm without Warranty; any advice what to do? Tune it? Delete egr? Aftermarket oil cooler? Dump the dpf system too? Bring it to d&j to get the cam gears reset and keyed?

Or just drive to a dealership and dump it for what will probably be a significant loss with 28+++ on a 1 year old truck. (I don't expect 44k trade in lol)

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
JDN, I do not understand why you are out of warranty. Too many miles?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Incorrect

-Brady

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
My engine is out of Warranty because I have been dumping oil in that does not meet MS-11106 spec since 7,400 miles therefore I've not no engine warranty

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
What's incorrect? Too many miles or warranty is void?

Ha sorry. I didn't realize I posted just 'incorrect'.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
My engine is out of Warranty because I have been dumping oil in that does not meet MS-11106 spec since 7,400 miles therefore I've not no engine warranty
You do know that this is more or less a moral obstacle. Your warranty is still intact unless FCA digs real deep.....

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
OK so other than you telling everyone that you used the incorrect oil, who knows? Does the engine still run properly? Are you now using the correct oil? If so then what does it matter, unless the Dealer has had FCA pull your warranty. If not then it's still G2G. As far as the truck warranty it's still covered no matter what. The oil has nothing to do with Transmission or the rest of the truck. They cannot VOID the whole thing.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I never said it void the whole thing. Only the engine. And pending something happens it spins a bearing whatever else and I provide proof of my oil changes with any ol 5w30 essentially then it creates a problem

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I never said it void the whole thing. Only the engine. And pending something happens it spins a bearing whatever else and I provide proof of my oil changes with any ol 5w30 essentially then it creates a problem

That's the biggest issue..showing the receipts and it has the incorrect oil on there.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well it'd be a fine line for a service guy to actually catch as it's only a part number deviation but do I care to Chance that scenario? Would you?

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
My guess is that the difference is amount of ash. That would probably only affect the DPF. I would imagine the oil itself would be fine on the lubrication of the engine and components.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Buy several cases of the right oil. Keep the receipts. Maybe it be months before you have an issue, if you do. Change the oil more often. You may be fortunate over time. hope may be there

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
What would buying several cases of the spec oil do? Waste money? There won't be any date interval

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
To be honest, if you dump this truck because of a few fills of not-exactly-spec-oil, then you're already expecting it to fail, and might be better served to find a vehicle you fully trust out to the warranty's mileage. JMO. So I'd 'chance' it, and keep on trucking.

-Brady

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I know and in a sense I do trust the truck. In another sense, I dread the failure horror stories and there's not enough engines out there and enough use that I know of going 100k and no failures so where does that put all us? I'd just rather be preventive if I do keep it in the all knowing possibilities. Just like tuning for the health so on and so forth. Dpf systems causing significant long term issues with all diesel's so on and so forth.

Blah blah blah. Idk.

I'm thinking to idk some champion Blue flame diesel oil to try out seeing as it doesn't much matter what goes in now as long as it's high quality 5w30 synthetic

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So oddly enough I contacted Champion Oils regarding the Blue Flame Diesel Oil which is a new line with 5w30. They clued me in that it's actually the same exact formula as the low SAPS syngold that is Chrysler MS11106 spec for the ecodiesel, except it has Blue dye for the "Blue Flame" product line. And it has not been produced in quart or single gallon containers at this time. Only 2.5gal which sucks being a quart shy of an oil change for our trucks.

Anyways Blue Flame does not yet have Chrysler spec though it does for Cummins 07-10 and cat, Volvo so on and so forth. Even though it's the same formula it just wasn't thrown in for all the testing at seema when it was introduced because it's actually designed for spec of the new 2017 trucks and will be carrying cj4 certification.

So fine line here is yes it could become spec oil, yes it mostly is spec oil, it's kinda the same and kinda better oil, it just doesn't have the label for vmi diesel. YET.

it can be found on summit in the 2.5 gal bottle for a pretty ridiculous 126$ because they have to break it down individually and reship it or if you buy two it's 199 and then drop shipped directly from champion warehouse. Still a little pricy but if a person wanted to run say Lucas oil stabilizer or any other oil additive to make up for the half quart or be willing to run at the bottom of the dipstick a single jug oil change would be awesome for us.

Oh and if there's any business association that one might have and you buy a few cases to sample the product line, say a 20$ (wholesale) case of brake fluid. Gear oil, brake clean, anything of that sort to look legitimate. You might be able to be set up as a authorized dealer for champion and then that case of Blue flame oil, 2x 2.5gal is only $130.04 plus shipping. Even with a mopar oil filter that's about 100$ oil change.

I did check for curiosity sake on the correct low SAPS oil and it's 45/6qt wholesale. Or gallons at 30 each.

Anyways thought I'd share the Info

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year