• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best Engine Tune

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
MAKE SURE you double check your oil level after the dealer replaces your oil, my local dealer over filled my truck every time I got my oil changed. It got so bad that I had one free oil change left on my contract when I decided to changing my own oil. I use Amsoil 15-40 diesel oil. I run stock oil filters because I do want to give the dealer ANY reason to deny my warranty if I have a problem.
You don't think the dealer would balk at 15w40 if push came to shove??

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
5w-40

Attachments

• 002a-18-078-16 Oil Spec Change.pdf
    110.3 KB · Views: 30

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
My stock file was returned to SFT today, it's a waiting game now, not too long I hope!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
You should get it back tomorrow

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I'm a little confused, the instructions on SFT's site show 2 steps to download the usr file, the instructions are the same for the 2 instructions with the exception of the name, is there only one file or am I missing something, the instructions are very clear but also confusing, is there one file or 2 files??

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
There's only one stock.usr file
There's only one SFT ECU tune .usr file in my early system of a tuner for the ECU tune and a tuner for the TCU tune.
Not sure in the new tuner where both ECU & TCU tunes are housed.

Ferrell

Jun 1, 2020
Truck Year
I'm a little confused, the instructions on SFT's site show 2 steps to download the usr file, the instructions are the same for the 2 instructions with the exception of the name, is there only one file or am I missing something, the instructions are very clear but also confusing, is there one file or 2 files??
I am quite confused as well. I downloaded the one file it gave me and emailed that to SFT last Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately they were gone for 4 days but hopefully get something back today so I can upload tune into my truck. Hopefully the one file does both engine and transmission!

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
At least I'm not the only one!! Hopefully there's not some magic recipe for getting the TCM usr file.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
My guess would be the one file does both engine and transmission

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks again John, I've been working on diesels since 1979, but only a couple were this small, and they were strokes. Your knowledge on these is very helpful. Looking at maintenance diagrams and parts breakdowns this little engine looks to be very high tech & complex.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Looking at maintenance diagrams and parts breakdowns this little engine looks to be very high tech & complex.
Yes, and from what I have read IMO the tunes and shutting off the EGR are the best things you can do for it.
My Service Manager supports the tunes because my Eco is my daily driver with more short hops than freeway time. Short hops are this engine's nemesis.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Tunes came in & both ECM & TCM are in the package as one file. John, how is the transmission rallytime tune activated once installed?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Tunes came in & both ECM & TCM are in the package as one file. John, how is the transmission rallytime tune activated once installed?
Tow Haul mode puts you in the Rally tune. Punch it and you'll feel it. He says it is also a better towing tune

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
That's kind of what I figured, I'll install the tune Thursday, I can't risk problems today because the wife has a doctors appointment in Phoenix tomorrow. I'd love the chance to try the tune but just cant chance it. I'm also curious about the folks running distilled water or diluted DEF, my truck is a 17 & probably has the DEF quality sensor. I wonder if that part could be turned off with ALFAOBD?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
My 2016 is said to have the DEF sensor and I run 100% distilled water with no problems on both the GDE and SFT tunes. TC Diesel has done tests to see how far you can dilute DEF and not throw a code on a stock tune. Not sure of the numbers right now.