• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PSA: FCA Changes Oil Specification Requirement for Ram 1500 EcoDiesels

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Am glad I do my own oil changes.

No kidding. Every time I need to go to the dealer for some type of warranty there is always some...extra-curricular work that gets done. I notice when the wrong bolt is put in the wrong place, or a wire loom isn't re-clipped and secured. A few places have...gotten to know me...through the years and know that the first thing I do is go home and inspect whatever work was done. If something is out of place, it generates a phone call.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Contrary to all of this the dealership that fca customer service had contacted in the shared chat has actually been in contact with me, the guy in parts called me again just yesterday and informed me that shortly after our conversation the week prior that they had received an rrt for the 2016 model year and that proper spec is now 5w40 for the ecodiesel platform.

Though originally a clueless dealer behind in times is now quite customer service orientated in keeping me updated at least with the dealer side of things regarding this change.

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
Great , the parts guy just called me and said the computer shows him the 3.0 diesel now specs 5 /40. Their number crosses to Rotella T6 or equivalent oils.

Onward and upward

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Corporate America has never been the best at communications. I would assume once major changes happen it takes 2-6 weeks for it to funnel down to the dealers unfortunately.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Though originally a clueless dealer behind in times is now quite customer service orientated in keeping me updated at least with the dealer side of things regarding this change.

That is nice to hear, and rare. Sounds like whoever you are working with there actually cares about getting good information to you!

polecat

Feb 11, 2016
Truck Year
I don't have a problem with oil changes . My 2015 Laramie 4800 miles is still in dealer garage . Been there since January 18th . Repaired first time after 15k repair . Picked up March 15th , noticed air noise . Turbo resonator leaking . Dealer replaced , tech road testing when injector blew apart . Took Ram 45 days to investigate . Truck still in shop due to parts not available . Ram said I could use my insurance if in a hurry . Ram ECO SUCKS as does warranty and SOME personnel . That's why I don"t worry about oil changes . Now doing Lemon Law .

polecat

Feb 11, 2016
Truck Year
I don't have a problem with oil changes . My 2015 Laramie 4800 miles is still in dealer garage . Been there since January 18th . Repaired first time after 15k repair . Picked up March 15th , noticed air noise . Turbo resonator leaking . Dealer replaced , tech road testing when injector blew apart . Took Ram 45 days to investigate . Truck still in shop due to parts not available . Ram said I could use my insurance if in a hurry . Ram ECO SUCKS as does warranty and SOME personnel . That's why I don"t worry about oil changes . Now doing Lemon Law .
Mopar sent email offering Mopar tee shirts . I ordered 6 large with big lemon instead of M logo . Not available yet !!

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year

!!!

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
Wow Polecat. That really sucks. I had to do a lemon law buyback before. It was a time consuming process. The manufacturer kept claiming I was modding the car and that was the reason so they were fighting it every step. It was a very expensive German car.

They finally gave in and settled with me after I saw had the same issue I brought it in for before I even left the dealer's lot from having it "fixed" yet again. What really ticked me off is how difficult they were being with me about it in the first place. To put this more in perspective, I'd spent over 400k with the manufacturer in 5 years on new vehicles. So to fight me over an issue like this was really stupid on their part. I got the car bought back and never bought another vehicle from that manufacturer since. They lost a lot of money on me.

If you have a long history with the company, long time ownership, a lot of their cars/trucks make sure you always bring this up with them. Keep records of everything and every call. Also point out you are describing your issues on all sorts of social media such as this forum, Facebook, etc. Make sure YOU know your responsibilities under the lemon laws in your state.

I always try and give the company a chance to take care of the issue first before I bring the big guns to bear. Don't forget you can also right the attorney general of your state as well if you aren't getting anywhere after 2 months or so. This process isn't normally quick.

Great White

Jul 28, 2016
Truck Year
Ok. Here is the situation, I bought my truck last week but they was missing the spare key and said that they would call me then they found it. Turns out one of the mechanics had it because he was going to do an oil change on it. So they want me to bring it in Thursday to change the oil and retrieve my spare key. Is it safe to assume that they are changing the oil because of the FCA changes, I thought it was a little odd to be changing the oil on a truck with 17 miles on it. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
That would be my assumption as well. You know what they say about assumptions though. Easy enough to check with them and see.

Great White

Jul 28, 2016
Truck Year
Oh I plan on asking Thursday, just feeling out the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Lol

Hawkeye

Jul 21, 2016
Truck Year
The dealer here can't sell any of the EcoDs in stock because they are out of oil and it is on backorder.

Logistics fail!

Dan Dooley

Jul 12, 2016
Truck Year
All the drama about MS-11106 seems to be over with FCA changing their oil recommendation recently. All the new owners manual diesel supplements now say:

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

This now aligns with the recommendations for the Cummins engines. CJ-4 is an API specification for low-ash formulation motor oils and can include 10w and 15w oils in both synthetic and non-synthetic formulations. Importantly though only synthetic 5w40 is approved for our engines.

ACEA is the European equivalent of API and their A3/B4 specification is also a low-ash formulation.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Nope it's for all year ecodiesels, jeep & ram
But the updated oil is followed by a ECM&TCM flash to keep everything functioning to mopar spec but the flash is only available for the 2016 model year as of now. The 14&15 do not have flashes available yet