• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PSA: FCA Changes Oil Specification Requirement for Ram 1500 EcoDiesels

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Is there really that much difference between 5-30 & 5-40? I am skeptical that this change will have much impact at all. I hope I am wrong. Personally, in addition to Amsoil 5-40, I will be adding 8oz of Archoil AR9100 at each oil change. Cheap insurance to gaurentee I won't experience the bearing failure.

Millrat

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
All the drama about MS-11106 seems to be over with FCA changing their oil recommendation recently. All the new owners manual diesel supplements now say:

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

This now aligns with the recommendations for the Cummins engines. CJ-4 is an API specification for low-ash formulation motor oils and can include 10w and 15w oils in both synthetic and non-synthetic formulations. Importantly though only synthetic 5w40 is approved for our engines.

ACEA is the European equivalent of API and their A3/B4 specification is also a low-ash formulation.

Hello, new member here-Millrat. Reading this post as I understand it, all new owners manuals come with the above mentioned supplement regarding acceptable oil for the 3.0 L Eco-diesel. I am the proud owner of a 2016 Laramie Limited with the 3.0 L Eco-diesel. I purchased this vehicle at the beginning of September of 2016. I have bee through the owners manual pouch- twice, and gone through the owners manual looking for anything resembling a supplement- none found. On page 255 of my manual at the bottom it states "Only use ACEA C3 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash engine oil meeting FCA Material Standard MS-11106 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil".

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hello, new member here-Millrat. Reading this post as I understand it, all new owners manuals come with the above mentioned supplement regarding acceptable oil for the 3.0 L Eco-diesel. I am the proud owner of a 2016 Laramie Limited with the 3.0 L Eco-diesel. I purchased this vehicle at the beginning of September of 2016. I have bee through the owners manual pouch- twice, and gone through the owners manual looking for anything resembling a supplement- none found. On page 255 of my manual at the bottom it states "Only use ACEA C3 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash engine oil meeting FCA Material Standard MS-11106 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil".

The information in the owners manual printed will be out of date. I would go here: http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/

Put in your info and you can get the most up-to-date information about your truck. Welcome to the site!

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
Hi Millrat,
are you in Canada?
I have been looking for more Info on the Canadian Site,( ramtrucks.ca) and it still calls for Euro L 5W-30 in all the Diesel Supplement Manuals,
except when I clicked on the 2017 Manual it called for Rotella 5W-40. I'm quite a bit worried. Hopefully something will come up soon.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Hi Millrat,
are you in Canada?
I have been looking for more Info on the Canadian Site,( ramtrucks.ca) and it still calls for Euro L 5W-30 in all the Diesel Supplement Manuals,
except when I clicked on the 2017 Manual it called for Rotella 5W-40. I'm quite a bit worried. Hopefully something will come up soon.
I wouldn't be worried, I would switch to 5w-40 and be done with it.

Millrat

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
The information in the owners manual printed will be out of date. I would go here: http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/

Put in your info and you can get the most up-to-date information about your truck. Welcome to the site!
Thank you. I'm headed to my dealer this morning. visited that site, I went to the diesel supplement section, and the owners manual, and unless I missed it, which is possible with these old eyes, I never saw where it recommended Shell Rotella. I was able, after some snooping locate the actual TSB from FCA that recommends SAE 5W-40Rotella Full Synthetic engine oil. It goes a little deeper also. Apparently, if i'm reading this TSB #18-078-16 right, the dealer is responsible for draining the old oil and putting in the new oil. In addition, they are to mark the oil cap with the proper viscosity with a sticker. So at 1am this morning i'm checking my oil cap- no sticker , no viscosity.
By the way- great site! I can honestly say without this I would have stuck with the 30 weight and ended up having them replace bearings down the road. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Millrat

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Is there really that much difference between 5-30 & 5-40? I am skeptical that this change will have much impact at all. I hope I am wrong. Personally, in addition to Amsoil 5-40, I will be adding 8oz of Archoil AR9100 at each oil change. Cheap insurance to gaurentee I won't experience the bearing failure.

Millrat

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I'm no expert but the reason I read FCA switched to the 40 weight, was they were seeing a tremendous increase of main bearings having to be replaced.

smittys95stang

Sep 14, 2016
Truck Year
From north of Toronto and took my trunk in for its first oil change. Thought I was doing it early at 10000km. Was informed by dealer that there is a couple updates to computers and of coarse the weight change in oil. Also now they recommend changing oil every 10000 and not 16000. They did give me the oil for free on the first change but I don't think that is enough as it is going to cost around 30% more over the lifetime of the warranty. I think they owe 3 to 4 free oil changes to make it up to the owners. No they did not update with a new sticker for the oil change to 5w-40.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
From north of Toronto and took my trunk in for its first oil change. Thought I was doing it early at 10000km. Was informed by dealer that there is a couple updates to computers and of coarse the weight change in oil. Also now they recommend changing oil every 10000 and not 16000. They did give me the oil for free on the first change but I don't think that is enough as it is going to cost around 30% more over the lifetime of the warranty. I think they owe 3 to 4 free oil changes to make it up to the owners. No they did not update with a new sticker for the oil change to 5w-40.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! Oil Intervals going down is something I've not heard about with this new oil weight.

Millrat

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Just returned from the dealer-spent 3+ hours there. I spoke to the service manager about the TSB I mentioned earlier- I couldn't believe his reply and attitude! "Yeah we got it.". Wasn't the least bit concerned, probably because they don't get many Eco-Diesels in there. They ended up putting in Shell Rotella T6 Fully Synthetic 5W-40. I hope this helps out. Strange though- he wouldn't let me see it- he said it came in 20+ gallon containers- probably because I wanted to take a picture of it.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Just returned from the dealer-spent 3+ hours there. I spoke to the service manager about the TSB I mentioned earlier- I couldn't believe his reply and attitude! "Yeah we got it.". Wasn't the least bit concerned, probably because they don't get many Eco-Diesels in there. They ended up putting in Shell Rotella T6 Fully Synthetic 5W-40. I hope this helps out. Strange though- he wouldn't let me see it- he said it came in 20+ gallon containers- probably because I wanted to take a picture of it.
Just judging by the way you post the same oil info in 10 different threads, I assume you can be a pain in the ass. LOL (which may be why your service manager lost his patience)

Remember, we read all the threads, no need to post the same information multiple times in multiple different locations.

Millrat

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Just judging by the way you post the same oil info in 10 different threads, I assume you can be a pain in the ass. LOL (which may be why your service manager lost his patience)

Remember, we read all the threads, no need to post the same information multiple times in multiple different locations.
Well- if going back to a thread a year old, and maybe helping someone out and calling out a dealer who didn't do what they were supposed to do, especially on a 60 thousand dollar truck, and then didn't give a rats rear about it makes me a pain in the ass, then i guess I am.

Last edited:

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I had the update done and I looked under the hood and there isn't a sticker on the fill cap, personally I don't care. It's not important to me I know what oil goes in it. This whole deal isn't much different than the tie rod end recall, I had a 2012 3500 mega cab, they sent out the paperwork and hadn't even started manufacturing the replacement parts.

Great White

Jul 28, 2016
Truck Year
After a little over a month of owning my truck, racking up 1900 miles and staying in contact with the dealership, they finally got the oil in to do the update, they did a drain and fill (did not change the filter) and three flash upgrades, one was for the oil life algorithm, one was a transmission update and yes it did make a noticeable difference, and the third was a general software update, the oil changes are still recomended at 10k miles( each to their own I still plan on 5k to 7k intervals) and no new oil cap or decal,

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
After a little over a month of owning my truck, racking up 1900 miles and staying in contact with the dealership, they finally got the oil in to do the update, they did a drain and fill (did not change the filter) and three flash upgrades, one was for the oil life algorithm, one was a transmission update and yes it did make a noticeable difference, and the third was a general software update, the oil changes are still recomended at 10k miles( each to their own I still plan on 5k to 7k intervals) and no new oil cap or decal,

Good to hear.. You could always do a oil test at 7K to see how the oil is doing. That will tell you if you're changing it too soon or not soon enough. Either way I've always felt like 7K is a good happy/medium area.

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
Well just had the TSB done on mine and it cost me $63 for the filter. It's just CJ-4 oil at 5W-40 weight, then next oil change will be with AMSOIL. I would have done it this time but I had already bought the Low ASH crap and now can't get my money back.
From what I've read don't do the 5W-40 until you get the Flash's done. I guess it has something to do with the Oil Life meter and how it reads it.