• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Information

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks,
Guess I am stuck with the first oil change, but will do some research on the named brands you listed for the future.

Stan517

Jul 27, 2019
Truck Year
Ok, I just completed an oil change and used Pentosin full synthetic 5w40 oil. It is manufactured for diesel and gas engines, German made and recommended for the econodiesel engine. It comes in various amounts of course but I was able to get a case of 3, 5-liter jugs for 146 after taxes. 10 liters is equal to 10.5 quarts so easy to use.

Anyone else use this oil? It is low ash which is an important part of the deal. Comments?

John

Nov 13, 2015
As long as it meets the FCA required specs I think you will be fine. I use the recommended Rotella T6 and it's less than $20.00 for a 1 gallon jug. With a rebate it's more like $13.00 a gallon

Dungjow

Sep 18, 2019
Truck Year
Ok, so I ordered Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme SAE 5W-40 Synthetic Engine Oil Off of Amazon and now I'm concerned with my choice. Should I swap it for something else or is it good for my next 10k miles?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Ok, so I ordered Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme SAE 5W-40 Synthetic Engine Oil Off of Amazon and now I'm concerned with my choice. Should I swap it for something else or is it good for my next 10k miles?
I really hate to jump in here but I will attempt to be polite and not piss anyone off. I am a big fan of Valvoline products used them for years in my automobile and trucks until I switched to synthetic, and even then I have found good synthetics in their brand. I am also a big proponent of Rotella T6.

Now according to Valvoline's own website and Technical Information regarding this product they list all the API specs that it meets. My only issue is the SN rating that this oil meets. According to everything I have read from AERA (Automotive Engine Rebuilder Association) the SN rating is for automotive application, and that any diesel application oil should not have a SN rating on it. Apparently the additives for SN rating are appropriate for automotive catalysts and not diesel catalysts as they are distinctly different. And in the beginning of the new oil specs the CJ4 and CK4 were mutually exclusive applications, I do not know when they began to blend applications. Oil manufacturers are attempting to cover as much as possible with each oil. So this oil may be sufficient or adequate for light duty diesel application it will not be healthy for catalytic converter life, conversely I do not use Rotella T6 in my daughters KIA or my son-in-laws Tahoe I use Valvoline 5W-30 full synthetic SN rated motor oil.

With that all being said, you should be OK with a one time oil change, I use a reputable Oil Analysis at each oil change and would recommend that as well to start building a history of oil life and engine contaminants present. Good luck.

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
Beeson,

Just curious. Why would you want to use the Gulf oil instead of Rotella T-6 5W40?
Im curious why you would mess with eigher of those brands of oil , just get the best and be done with it. AMSOIL!!!!!

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I'm curious, I bought a 2017 RAM ecodiesel on DEC 30 it had 14,343 miles on it, I noticed today that the "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" massage was on, the DIC said 2205 miles since reset, just curious if i have something going on.

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
Smart technology, like Ram’s Oil Change Indicator, automatically monitors the oil life in your vehicle using advanced algorithm and an on-board computer system that alerts owners when it’s time for an oil change, so they can address the issue promptly and without hassle. All the owner has to do is schedule an appointment with a trusted mechanic, take the vehicle in for servicing, and a mechanic will take care of the rest. The Ram Oil Change Indicator system is not a simple oil quality sensor, but a software-based, algorithm-driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine - the engine size, engine revolutions, and even ethanol levels in the fuel - to determine when the oil needs changing. That said, the computer does not strictly track mileage or the condition of the oil, but also tracks certain driving habits that can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperatures will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance. Read the table below to see how the Oil Change Indicator system determines oil life.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Every time I look at my oil life indicator the advanced algorithm is as follows:
miles driven divided by 10000 = percent used
100 minus percent used = percent left on oil life rounded to the nearest whole

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Smart technology, like Ram’s Oil Change Indicator, automatically monitors the oil life in your vehicle using advanced algorithm and an on-board computer system that alerts owners when it’s time for an oil change, so they can address the issue promptly and without hassle. All the owner has to do is schedule an appointment with a trusted mechanic, take the vehicle in for servicing, and a mechanic will take care of the rest. The Ram Oil Change Indicator system is not a simple oil quality sensor, but a software-based, algorithm-driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine - the engine size, engine revolutions, and even ethanol levels in the fuel - to determine when the oil needs changing. That said, the computer does not strictly track mileage or the condition of the oil, but also tracks certain driving habits that can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperatures will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance. Read the table below to see how the Oil Change Indicator system determines oil life.
I understand the the algorithm driven monitoring, but 2200 miles seems ridiculous to me. My concern is if I have something going on, I'm still waiting for an EGR cooler fix. I've worked on large diesels since 1979, and was introduced to modern diesels in 1999 on 7.3 liter POWERSTROKES, which were made by international, I've worked on Fords, Gm, Cummins(not light truck), EMD, and now will get to learn the ECO.

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
I understand the the algorithm driven monitoring, but 2200 miles seems ridiculous to me. My concern is if I have something going on, I'm still waiting for an EGR cooler fix. I've worked on large diesels since 1979, and was introduced to modern diesels in 1999 on 7.3 liter POWERSTROKES, which were made by international, I've worked on Fords, Gm, Cummins(not light truck), EMD, and now will get to learn the ECO.
Yes that is a little alarming, I don’t know if it’s picking up a dirty oil filter . I guess I would change the oil and go from there.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Welcome to the forum CAVEMAN.
First the transfer or use of technology among the FCA brands is not universal. My wife's 2013 Charger the oil change monitor would vary based upon driving conditions, just like "hossman" referred to. However my experience with my RAM and my wife's Jeep GC eco is that the oil life monitor on the ecodiesel is a simple mileage counter. My first oil change at the dealer, and my last, the mechanic failed to reset the mileage indicator and I received "Oil Change Required" message about two blocks from the dealership. I changed to Rotella T6 about a year before FCA announced their change. For this instance I would go with the dealership did not change the monitor. I have had to run through the process two or three times to get mine to change at times.

Since you have experience with diesel engines and the information transfer in large corporations, you will find the notification process in FCA to be dismal to the point that the customer is harmed by the lack of responsiveness or consistency of message. The EGR update is just the latest example. The redesign is enroute for the last six months, ordered "just in time" which in my 64 years of experience means after mine just broke. We have both received our recall notice for the EGR and no time frame for when parts will arrive, dealer will call.

Good luck.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Caveman, I would do the simple things first but am assuming you already did given your experience:
Check the oil
try and reset the counter yourself.
It probably just didn't get reset.
Let us know if the light went off.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
My plans are to do an oil & filter change, I already have the T6, & have been watching the oil & coolant closely since buying. The light had been reset as the mileage since rest nearly match our miles driven since buying, I reset the oil life monitor and will change the oil as soon as the filter gets here. Going to get a fuel filter socket & drain plug too, thinking about going with fumoto valves but a little leery.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
My plans are to do an oil & filter change, I already have the T6, & have been watching the oil & coolant closely since buying. The light had been reset as the mileage since rest nearly match our miles driven since buying, I reset the oil life monitor and will change the oil as soon as the filter gets here. Going to get a fuel filter socket & drain plug too, thinking about going with fumoto valves but a little leery.
Nothing to be leary on the fumoto valve if you are changing your own oil. They are high quality and make oil changes a breeze. They are especially helpful if you like to do oil analysis. I was a little worried about the nylon clip that acts as a secondary safety device so I ordered a couple extra 2 years ago. They are still setting on the shelf waiting to be used. Very practical and robust design.
I also have the fuel filter drain plug. It works well also, just be careful installing it as it is a brass plug on a plastic housing.
Since you are doing an oil change consider an oil analysis, this will definitely let you know where you were at in the oil change cycle!

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
I see nobody mentioned the fact that whomever you purchased the truck from could have reset the oil life prior to sale to save themselves $100 and let you do the oil change. I wouldn't worry about issues yet. just perform the oil change ASAP and then you can look at the truck display every 1k miles and see if it is going down by 10% (In perfect conditions)

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
That's a thought, but I sure hope not, they're the largest dealer in Ariona. Another thing today also, I headed to town to grab some grub for dinner, about a half mile down the road I got a DPF 805 FULL message & drive at highway speed to clean it, typical regen stuff basically, so I headed out the road & within about 10 miles at 70mph it was at 30%, so I found a place to turn around and headed home, it completed the regen in less than a mile after turning around. My Duramax had a crappy DIC when it came to regen info also, gonna fix thiis stuff, gonna order ALFAOBD & SCANGAUGE ll so I can see what's going on. I have an EDGE INSIGHT CTS, but it lacks a lot of info that I want, I did an update on it but still lacking.

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
I just ignore the regen. letting it do what it wants, but have never seen the DPF FULL yet in my 2016. Did the dealer do the Smog re-flash to your truck prior to selling it to you?
Just bringing it up as it could be a $3k bonus for you if not, and if they did do it, then you have an extended warranty and .... um! possible issues (As the first gen flash can leave you in harms way when the truck is cold -Large delay on take off-)
Also, the seller who dropped off the truck to the dealer prior to sale could have reset the oil life.
I avoid dealerships like the plague, I have watched them put regular oil in my Cummings ram. When approached the Oil Tech (HA,HA) told me he always puts in regular oil. He said he had done it to a hundred trucks and nobody complained before... you will still get a 100k out of this engine he said. I dragged the Service manager by the shoulder out to the bay and had him repeat it. He is still working there!
I can go on and on about 3 other dealers also.
I don't let anyone else service my truck or Wife.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
If I take my vehicle ANYWHERE for an oil change I supply the oil and filter, a buddy owns the local NAPA store, he'll do an oil change fo 20 bucks, BUT I don't plan on using his parts because he can't get the T6 at a reasonable price & NAPA filters which are made by WIX are not quite up to par. Him and one other friend are the only ones I would consider allowing to change it. I don't know what the micron rating on the factory oil filter is, but the fuel filter is 3 micron, the WIX fuel filter is 4 micron, the WIX oil filter is 19 micron. Your remark about not letting anyone else service your truck or wife reminds me of a story, Afriend of mine had just bought a new HARLEY from BARNETT'S in EL PASO, got a plane there & they picked him up at the airport, well on his first trip down here to run an AMBULANCE shift someone asked him "how about you let me take it for a spin", his reply"how about I take a spin on your old lady". It shut the guy up quick like.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I see nobody mentioned the fact that whomever you purchased the truck from could have reset the oil life prior to sale to save themselves $100 and let you do the oil change. I wouldn't worry about issues yet. just perform the oil change ASAP and then you can look at the truck display every 1k miles and see if it is going down by 10% (In perfect conditions)
Truck was purchased from a dealer, and the oil change sticker on the windshield had a service due mileage that was about 5000 miles more than when we got the truck, had 14343 when we took delivery, sticker said it was due at 19160 or thereabouts. I did the oil change today, I used a factory filter and Rotella T6, also added 16 oz of stiction eliminator. Whoever did the last oil filter change put the o-ring in the wrong groove, they had it at the top of the threads instead of the the o-ring groove. The oil life monitor was at 99% because I reset it the other day, it wouldn't even reset.