• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reported problems on the EcoDiesel

Waggie

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year
When I picked up my ED on Thursday, one of the first questions I asked was how common was the intercooler failure and whats has been done to rectify it? The sales guy told me that in the 14 & 15 ED's they needed a winterfront, and that in the 16's a set of shutters (similar to a semi) has been added to eliminate the need for a winterfront. Although my new ED came with a winterfront, he said I won't need it. Now living in Saskatchewan, winters get pretty damn cold and blowing here, i'll be running that winterfront once it cools off again! Its been pretty mild here this year.
I am just wondering if what I was told about the intercooler failures is correct?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So they claim to have extended the thermal shutters to cover the ENTIRE radiator on the 2016 models? That's news to me..

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
When I picked up my ED on Thursday, one of the first questions I asked was how common was the intercooler failure and whats has been done to rectify it? The sales guy told me that in the 14 & 15 ED's they needed a winterfront, and that in the 16's a set of shutters (similar to a semi) has been added to eliminate the need for a winterfront. Although my new ED came with a winterfront, he said I won't need it. Now living in Saskatchewan, winters get pretty damn cold and blowing here, i'll be running that winterfront once it cools off again! Its been pretty mild here this year.
I am just wondering if what I was told about the intercooler failures is correct?

I've haven't seen or heard any info on FCA fixing the oil in cooler problem. Seems they put a new one on to bandaid the problem according to a few posts here.

marcm

Dec 5, 2015
Truck Year
My 2016 came with a winterfront from factory so not sure about the grille shutters being a fix but every manufacturer has issues. my buddy has a 2015 Silverado and his oil pump let go at 12000kms. Manager told him he was the 7th oil pump they've changed on 2015's with less than 20000kms and they had changed another 20-30 on late model 2014's. I think quality control has taken a back seat to production with all makes.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
He's not questioning oil cooler failure @renewal101 he's Canadian and referencing the intercooler icing up which is another problem ecodiesel's particularly ones in cold climate have experienced. Which is something that actually resulted in a FCA recall.

renewal101

Jan 3, 2016
Truck Year
He's not questioning oil cooler failure @renewal101 he's Canadian and referencing the intercooler icing up which is another problem ecodiesel's particularly ones in cold climate have experienced. Which is something that actually resulted in a FCA recall.

Thanks I see that now.....I will delete that post

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
Odometer quit reading ,
Not sure what's going on but my odometer stopped working. Going to take it into the dealer to see if they can figure out what's going on . I'll keep you posted .

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Odometer quit reading ,
Not sure what's going on but my odometer stopped working. Going to take it into the dealer to see if they can figure out what's going on . I'll keep you posted .

Well that's a new one...

Phillip Anderson

Feb 19, 2016
Truck Year
100000 Km and now having first issue. It was -31c on the weekend and service engine light came on with a message saying to service electronic throttle control. Truck will sit until Monday when it goes to the shop, I start it every day and today I got an additional fault saying something about servicing the exhaust system.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I've heard of the throttle control. Maybe just a nox sensor for the exhaust. It's not been cold enough to really foul anything in the DEF system except maybe the injector is just plugged

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
Rollingsmokediesel.com is testing and about to put a remote air cooled oil cooler to market with a block off plate like many of the others we have seen....the biggest thing is hopefully they use a proper oil filter head that you can get a very good quality filter for.

They haven't released it yet....:cry::mad:

Ashley

Apr 3, 2016
Truck Year
image.jpeg I admit I joined because the motor on my 14 Eco went at 16K. We have two 15 Eco's and LOVE them. I bought mine used with just under 10K on it. Had it 4 months. Suddenly the low oil pressure light came on. We have a towing company so I called my fiancé and he came and picked it up and we brought it to our dealer. They went to run some tests and the motor locked up. Had been an awesome truck, daily driver and getting 23 ish mpg-I drive over a mountain to work everyday-a REAL mountain-pretty much a zig zag up one side and hair pin turns down the other so I was really impressed with it. Sadly it's from Canada originally so I'm out of pocketing 9K for a new motor.

That being said, our 15 Eco saved our butts the day after Xmas when an out of control driver tried to pass us on I 95. Came skidding right into the drivers side door at over 70 mph. Side air bags deployed, and we got to the shoulder without a bigger wreck. Funny enough the troopers said if we could get to our destination with it, go for it since they knew we had the towing and auto body company. Cut the side air bags off so we could see*no broken glass* and drove on.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Glad you're ok after that wreck. Is the truck repairable?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Oh yeah just a new door and some kind of heavy rocker panel Repair. That's almost less damage than the deer that ran into me did

Ashley

Apr 3, 2016
Truck Year
Yeah we fixed it but it had more damage than the cosmetics we first saw. The cab ended up off set, had to put the truck on our frame rack. The entire drivers side has new panels except the rear cab door. The rear end of the car came around and hit us by the rear tire too, dented in the rear bumper. Accident happened December 26th and the head liner has been on factory back order up until last Tuesday! Now we are waiting for the glass company to come this week and take out the windshield so the headliner can be installed.

Ashley

Apr 3, 2016
Truck Year
Oh and a new cab floor on the drivers side. it crumpled right up so we had to cut it out and weld in a new section. It was sort of fun to dissect the truck, pain in the arse stripping out the cab to straighten and replace everything though

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
I assume you'd have said something if the airbag deployment had sent shrapnel into your face, soooo.....that's good - one less concern about the safety of this vehicle!

Ashley

Apr 3, 2016
Truck Year
Haha, yeah no air bag issue aside from it leaving a weird burn mark on his shoulder. Sort of looked like a rug burn.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 19

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Wow he looks much happier than I would be following an accident that set off airbags. Must have received a blow to the head as well.....LOL