• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Information

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Don't overpay for what is basically a re-boxed Ecoguard, which isn't a great filter in the first place. AFE doesn't make oil filters, so all you are paying for is a box.

The ecoguard is actually an excellent filter. Ive compared it with a factory mopar filter and they are identical except the o-ring. Oil analysis proves they filter excellent. Basically im yet to find anything that proves there not an excellent filter.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Just purchased this to install during my next oil change. Also bought an extra nylon lock and the plastic fitting and tube kit.
The parts seem top quality.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just purchased this to install during my next oil change. Also bought an extra nylon lock and the plastic fitting and tube kit.
The parts seem top quality.

You can't beat this. Easy and clean...

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
i saw somewhere here someone did not have oil pressure after installing a eco guard oil filter, then remembered shawn from mopar ecodiesel
saying that the jeep eco diesel oil filter looks just like ours but the small o-ring is in a lower position on the filter and it will not work
it looks just like the ram filter but is different, point is double check and double check again... that could the difference between $30 and $10,000.
i purchased a napa gold oil filter thinking it was of good quality and opened the box at the parts store and handed it back..really cheap...

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
i saw somewhere here someone did not have oil pressure after installing a eco guard oil filter, then remembered shawn from mopar ecodiesel
saying that the jeep eco diesel oil filter looks just like ours but the small o-ring is in a lower position on the filter and it will not work
it looks just like the ram filter but is different, point is double check and double check again... that could the difference between $30 and $10,000.
i purchased a napa gold oil filter thinking it was of good quality and opened the box at the parts store and handed it back..really cheap...
Wow! Very interested in this post since not only do I have my 2014 RAM ED but my wife now has a 2015 JEEP ED, I do the oil changes on both. Just checked my WIX parts catalog and the oil filter for both vehicles is the same part number, double checked with MANN-HUMMEL and they also show the same part number for both vehicles. Could the previous loss of oil pressure with an incorrectly made filter have been a poorly constructed filter?

Richard Pust

Feb 23, 2018
Truck Year
As my truck is still under warranty I'm gonna stick with taking it to the dealer for maintenance. I used to do my own oil changes with previous vehicles but disposal becomes an issue. One local FCA dealer has a $99 coupon for Ecodiesel oil change and considering the time and work involved in doing it myself I'll leave it to them instead and if anything is not done correctly at least it will be documented and the error will be on them. BTW I'll be getting my first oil change next month when my odometer is close to 9000. It will be nearly a year old at that point. Is this pretty standard with synthetic? Letting the onboard computer be my guide.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
As my truck is still under warranty I'm gonna stick with taking it to the dealer for maintenance. I used to do my own oil changes with previous vehicles but disposal becomes an issue. One local FCA dealer has a $99 coupon for Ecodiesel oil change and considering the time and work involved in doing it myself I'll leave it to them instead and if anything is not done correctly at least it will be documented and the error will be on them. BTW I'll be getting my first oil change next month when my odometer is close to 9000. It will be nearly a year old at that point. Is this pretty standard with synthetic? Letting the onboard computer be my guide.

$99.00 seems pretty cheap for an oil change, I pay about $50.00 on amazon for the 2.5 gallon Shell Rotella T6 (+ 1 quart) and $40.00 for the mopar filter.
Since I put the fumoto valve in my drain pan I just drain the oil into the old 2.5 gallon oil container and a 2.5 gallon container. easy to dispose of and capture an oil sample for analysis.
I am not sure about everyone but I tow consistently so I like changing my oil at 7500 or so.

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
I get Rotella T6 for a total of $44 at Walmart and a Wix OEM filter ar O Reilly auto parts for $16 when they price match auto zone seems filter price.

That's a $60 oil change performed by myself. Can't get that anywhere else with the oils specs we need on these ecos.

Then I run Hot Shots Strictuon Eliminator every 3 or 4 changes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

podhauler

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Testament to the GDE which disables the EGR and its soot loading characteristics, after 1000kms without a GDE tune, the oil was a black as we come to expect with Diesel engines. After installing the GDE tune and changing the oil, the difference is more than just "slight". After 10,000 km on AMSOIL 5w40 Diesel, with GDE tune, the oil is even cleaner than most gas cars with 1/2 the mileage.

Veefer99

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
Changing your oil will not void warranty. You will need to keep oil and filter receipt as a proof. Max intervals are 10000mi. (Did my first at 6000mi because of of contaminants and small particles from production process sill inside the engine). Use good quality filter and oil. Dealer recommends Rotella T6 for ecodiesels now and it is one of the best oils around. One note for those who don't know yet: when draining oil on ED you have to wait 15min to fully drain as oil will start flowing again after 5-10min. It has to do with the design of all the oil passages inside the engine. Cost of change around$60-70
Menards sells T6 for $23/gal. ($20 on sale)

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
Has anyone used the Gulf Super-duty synthetic 5W-40?
I think I want to try the 5W-40 as I keep hearing that 5W-40 is the new standard, and my ED has a slight roughness to the engine at higher rpms with the 5W-30. I don't know yet if it is just break in, or typical to the engine.. usually never need to take over 2900rpm. drive for mileage most of the time w/ GDE. Bragging... first 7,000 miles with GDE averaged 30mpg per tank on 25-500 mile trips.
2016 BH 4x4 crew w/ cab high shell.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Beeson,

Just curious. Why would you want to use the Gulf oil instead of Rotella T-6 5W40?

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
Went to one of the links listed in a previous thread, and it was a oil change kit for my ED. only $85 oil and filter. I think I will not be going 10k between changes as my truck is for pleasure not work, and not putting a lot of miles on it. 2016 with only 9900 miles to date. thought a less expensive oil changed at 7500 miles would be fine as I probably will not have the truck 150K. I used to use royal purple and/ or amsoil in my last 4 Cummins rams, and found I was wasting money on drivetrains that will last past the 2nd owners life.
I don't know if anyone has done oil analyzing for the Gulf product, so going blind on this unless some one posts a negative.
thank you,

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Makes sense if it meets Eco specs, I'm not aware of any negatives.
You got me beat, my 2016 just turned 14,600 miles. I change oil and filter once a year, averaging less than 5,000 miles.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I like Rotella T6 or Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck. Both are good, meet CJ-4 and CK-4. I just go by the oil minder. Biggest concern is always going to be the EGR throwing soot into the oil so, uh, yeah solve that and you are all good!

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
I did the GDE tune, so that should help quite a bit I understand. know it has proven 5 mpg in perfect circumstances and greatly reduced the fly by wire turbo-lag that can leave you stalling when you punch the throttle to get out of a situation.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Gulf Super-duty synthetic 5W-40 is CK-4 just like Rotella so it should be fine. The only issue to check is the amount of zinc and phosphorous. Its not made by Gulf oil, its actually made by new-tier brands, inc. They use the Gulf name for marketing purposes. I dont know, i say stick with Rotella or Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck - its cheap enough.